ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

How To Create Lower Third Effect

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Curtis CosbyHow To Create Lower Third Effect
by on Mar 12, 2015 at 4:18:48 pm

Cross posted to the basics fourm also, if I need to remove one just let me know.

Hey Everyone,

I have been learning AE and doing okay with it, but I can't seem to figure this out. Its probably something really simple, but I have searched this forum, Google and YouTube and can't figure it out. I have tried, masking, Track Matte's etc. and nothing seems to work.

I want my logo to drop in like the Twitter logo in this lower third. Any ideas where to start? is the border around the badge some type of mask or matte and I have just not been using them correctly?

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Curtis Cosby
Multimedia Assistant

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: How To Create Lower Third Effect
by on Mar 12, 2015 at 4:30:54 pm

Yeah, you need to use a track matte for this. It's pretty simple to use, but you need to get your head around the concept of using the brightness or transparency of one layer in influence the transparency of another layer.

This will help:

I don't know what you're using to learn AE, but there is a REALLY good series right here on the COW, and you don't have to obsess over having the proper version of AE to use them:

Incidentally. Todd Kopriva, who authored that blog page, runs the After Effects division of Adobe. He is quite literally Mr. After Effects. He's not likely to steer you in the wrong direction.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Curtis CosbyRe: How To Create Lower Third Effect
by on Mar 12, 2015 at 4:39:56 pm

Thanks for the link. I will give it a read and another try. I have went through many of the Cow tutorials as you mentioned and also used to work through some courses. I am understanding the "program" pretty well at this point its a matter of understanding how to use everything else. Like you mentioned using the brightness of one layer to influence the transparency of another. I guess that comes with time and lots of practice...

Thanks again

Curtis Cosby
Multimedia Assistant

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved