ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Is there such a thing as dynamic masking?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shane DavisIs there such a thing as dynamic masking?
by on Mar 11, 2015 at 4:36:43 pm

Hi all.

I suppose I ought to explain what I am trying to do first, then let you experts tell me if this is possible.

I begin with an overall picture of an area. I then want a portion of that overall area to shrink and move to the corner. This will be a reference shot while I zoom into the main area and reflect my position on the small section in the corner.

As the above paragraph is likely to make no sense at all, I will explain the exact job I have. :)

I have filmed some roofing as the gutters need to be inspected. It will be roofing from 6 large buildings. So I will begin the video with a large image or still of the overall area covering the 6 buildings, each labelled with a name. As the footage moves on, I want the main image to not only shrink and move position, but also lose most of what is in shot to leave me with just one of the buildings which I will shine a spotlight on to show which area I am now zooming in on in the main window. So the spotlight will also need to move across the guttering area in the smaller window.

If this is simple enough, at the end of the first survey it would be great if the area within the small box could be slid across to the next building.

I am assuming this involves using a mask, but I just can't seem to get the mask to be anything but on or off.

I apologise if this all sounds confusing. Try being inside my head! I have been at it for hours now and have restarted afresh 5 or 6 times so really would be grateful for any assistance.

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Is there such a thing as dynamic masking?
by on Mar 11, 2015 at 6:27:45 pm

You're getting some help on your duplicate thread here:

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects product manager and curmudgeon
After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved