ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Multiframe Processing Questions

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brad PhillipsMultiframe Processing Questions
by on Mar 10, 2015 at 1:45:51 pm
Last Edited By Brad Phillips on Mar 10, 2015 at 1:48:57 pm

Hello All,

I've made some recent upgrades to my system and I'm still having issues with multi-frame processing.

The specs on my system are
Mac Pro Workstation, 5.1
2x2.4 -6 core, 128 gb memory

My setting for this on After Effects are as follows:

With these settings, once I hit RAM preview, it usually saves the project first, then it says it's initializing background processes...then nothing happens.

Any suggestions as to WHY this might be? I've done research on the optimal settings and I thought I was in the ballpark. I certainly have enough RAM. It always just wants to SAVE everything and that's it.

Thanks,

Brad

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Multiframe Processing Questions
by on Mar 10, 2015 at 4:14:58 pm

Running Yosemite now? It's the most likely culprit -- that crummy OS does NOT play nicely with AE.

Yosemite + AE = occasional weirdness.

Alternately, you have have to go through your AE preferences with a fine-toothed comb.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Brad PhillipsRe: Multiframe Processing Questions
by on Mar 10, 2015 at 4:19:41 pm

Dave,

I'm still back a few versions on the OS. I will have to try some other things as well. If anyone has any other insight, please chime in!

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Multiframe Processing Questions
by on Mar 10, 2015 at 5:55:19 pm

Remove any audio files from your project and try again.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

ronaldo montalvoRe: Multiframe Processing Questions
by on Mar 10, 2015 at 11:37:26 pm

i have 32 gigs of ram and a fast external drive and even when afx is the only app running i get the same problem, initializing forever and then sits there. for me this happens with even light comps of only a few layers and without audio. search the problem and it seems widespread. tried many variations on settings but haven't been able to get multi-processor previews to work correctly or quickly. it's just not useable. eventually found the only solution was to just turn of multi-processing for previewing and only use it for render function. seems pretty weak on adobe's part that the mp previewing is basically non-functional. hardly seems right to still blame it on yosemite OS, which has been out for six months, i would have expected adobe to come up with a solution to address a problem like this by now. (and is removing the audio from a project really a practical working solution to get MP previews that should just work without dorking around?) seems like adobe should fix this and release it quickly. the speed of addressing functional software fixes like this seems like it was one of adobe's selling points with the CC cloud. the whole afx preview model is creaky, slow and frustratingly inefficient anyway but not being able to use multi-processors for previewing just compounds the inherent problems afx has.

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Multiframe Processing Questions
by on Mar 10, 2015 at 11:51:14 pm

The problem is that Yosemite introduced something that couldn't be fixed quickly on Adobe's end. Remember, this messed up RAM previews for every version of AE - this isn't just a CC 2014 problem.

The fix that Adobe has in the works is in the form of a complete rewrite of AE's core code.

This, by the way, should be great news for all of us. Adobe has announced that they are redoing how AE works in a major way that should eliminate a lot of our frustrations (while possibly inventing some new ones...) Hints here [link].

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]