ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Particular: Layer (footage) Emitter Camera Tracked Scene

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dominic BurgessParticular: Layer (footage) Emitter Camera Tracked Scene
by on Mar 9, 2015 at 1:41:27 pm

Hi there,

I have some footage which Im using as an emitter in Particular. I have also camera tracked the footage so the particles sit nicely into the shot.

However, because in Particular I have to have the emitter layer as a 3D layer, that layer now moves about with the camera, and so the generated particles dont match up with the background plate. Does that make sense!?

I imagine its is a case of linking the emitter to the camera in some way.

Any help would be very much appreciated!

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Particular: Layer (footage) Emitter Camera Tracked Scene
by on Mar 10, 2015 at 6:05:28 pm

I don't understand your issue. The layer Particular is applied to should be a 2d layer, not a 3d layer.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Dominic BurgessRe: Particular: Layer (footage) Emitter Camera Tracked Scene
by on Mar 11, 2015 at 11:09:58 am

Yes, the particular layer is 2D, I was referring to the emitter layer being 3D. Let me break it down for you...

I have a 2D footage plate, then a precomped copy of this which Im using as an emitter (although only to emit a certain portion of the footage which is rotoscoped inside the pre comp.)

Then I have my particular layer (2D!) which is using the emitter layer to emit from.

Then I have my camera (from tracked footage).

The particles are emitting from the emitter layer, however, because the emitter layer has to be 3D, it of course reacts to the camera moment and so the particles being emitted don't match up to the background plate.

So, what Im after is a solution to this. I think its a matter of just linking the emitter to the camera so the camera movement is cancelled out. I imagine I need a nice little expression to link the scale and position of the emitter layer. I did try just parenting the layer to the camera and scaling and positioning manually but it seemed to affect the particles movement?

Anyway, the best way would be for some (lovely!) person to set up a similar comp and see what Im talking about. Either way, all help appreciated!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved