ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

collect files query / also 'find' option

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
chris brettcollect files query / also 'find' option
by on Mar 8, 2015 at 9:20:12 pm

Hi

-- have a complicated project with 70 revisions.

-- did 'collect files' at version 50 which has all the same footage as other versions

-- when I got the finished edit at version 70 I deleted all the other versions and kept the version 50 folder with all the footage and audio.

THE PROBLEM

The problem is that v70 loads up colour bars instead of footage and audio BUT v50 still loads normally.

I have tried loading v70 then doing 'collect files' and copying files over into the resulying footage folder but this does not work,

Any ideas why this might have happened please ? and how to sort it ?

ALSO can the 'find' option be used to sort this ?

.....and if so how does it work please ?

------------------------------------ chris --

Return to posts index

chris brettRe: collect files query / also 'find' option
by on Mar 9, 2015 at 8:24:07 am

--- found a good fix in an earlier cow post from 2011 here https://forums.creativecow.net/thread/202/890369 --- thanks to Angie Taylor for this one ..
..though this was only quick and easy because all the files were already in the collect files folder

.......Angies post doesnt explain why it happens in the first place and am still interested if anyone knows????

---------------------------------------chris -----

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: collect files query / also 'find' option
by on Mar 9, 2015 at 6:00:33 pm

No clue why it happens -- it happened to me just last week.

But no problem, I just double-clicked on a piece of missing footage in the project panel, navigated to the appropriate folder, and double-clicked on the proper file. AE proceeded to find everything.

Then I did a quick save. No problems since then.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

by on Mar 9, 2015 at 6:42:10 pm

Hi Dave

---------- reckon that when you 'save' it writes a link to footage which gets 'broken' sometimes - what surprised me though is that it cant be fixed by 'collect files' then copying assets to resulting 'footage' folder.........

-- guess its one of those bugs you learn to live with --- its no big deal if you know how to solve it and exactly where where the footage is............

-------------- cheers ------------- chris --

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: collect files query / also 'find' option
by on Mar 10, 2015 at 1:29:03 am

[chris brett] "reckon that when you 'save' it writes a link to footage which gets 'broken' sometimes - what surprised me though is that it cant be fixed by 'collect files' then copying assets to resulting 'footage' folder"

Ae saves the the absolute path of footage items in the AEP. You can see this by looking at the "File Path" column in the project panel.

If it doesn't find the file at the original absolute path, it also looks at the relative path based on the location of the AEP. (In other words, if you maintain the entire folder structure of an After Effects project file and its footage, stuff won't go missing. That's why "Collect files" makes a portable package.)

"Collect files" with a missing file will not alter the paths of missing files as you had hoped -- although I do understand why you think it would be a good idea!

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

by on Mar 10, 2015 at 8:54:43 am

thanks Walter ..............

............ spot on as always ----

------------------------ best regards ------ chris --

==========================================================

Return to posts index

by on Mar 10, 2015 at 4:10:12 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Mar 10, 2015 at 4:11:13 pm

Well, that explains why my footage goes missing. I just never took the time to think the detailed answer thorough. Too unimportant, I guess.

I'm very picky how I organize my AE projects, and it doesn't match how AE collects files. After collecting files, I always have to put things the way I want them, and not the way Adobe says I should have them. The relative file path gets broken.

I'm stubborn -- I'm not about to change a project-organizing procedure I've used for darned near twenty years. So I always have to re-link footage. Fortunately, it's a dead-simple thing to do.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

by on Mar 11, 2015 at 2:47:43 am

[Dave LaRonde] "I'm very picky how I organize my AE projects, and it doesn't match how AE collects files. After collecting files, I always have to put things the way I want them, and not the way Adobe says I should have them. The relative file path gets broken. I'm stubborn -- I'm not about to change a project-organizing procedure I've used for darned near twenty years. So I always have to re-link footage. Fortunately, it's a dead-simple thing to do."

If you are methodical about how you organize your projects and always make sure you move/copy assets into a consistent relative path structure, you don't need to do Collect Files to make them portable. They already are.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

by on Mar 11, 2015 at 8:32:44 am

Hi Walter

--- what exactly is a 'consistent relative path' please ?

--------------------------------chris ---

Return to posts index

by on Mar 11, 2015 at 4:19:54 pm

Tell you what: do a collect files on an existing project. You'll get nested folders with names something like "Projectname" (Collected)> Footage (Collected)> Footage.

That's not the PRECISE nesting or names, but you get the idea -- folders inside folders inside folders.

Well, that's way too messy for me. I like "Projectname"> Footage. Been doing it for years that way. So I get rid of the extaneous folders. I move footage up a nesting level or two.

Thing is, when I open the AE project file, AE can't find the footage because of 1) a different folder name and 2) altered nesting.

This is known, as I recently learned, as a different relative file path. But as I've pointed out a couple of times now, it's very easy to redirect AE to a new file path.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

by on Mar 13, 2015 at 1:47:01 pm

[chris brett] "what exactly is a 'consistent relative path' please ?"

Sorry for my delay, Chris.

I'll illustrate by example. You can create your own portable Ae folders, without using collect files, if you pre-organize your assets in the file system before bringing them into Ae, and if you ensure that when you move the AEP, you also move the footage files the exact same way.

I think the best way to do this is to keep everything contained within a single job folder, and to move/copy files there before importing, every time. If you don't have the discipline to do that, then Collect Files is absolutely your best bet.

For example, you might make a folder structure like one of these:

[image]

In the example on the left, the absolute path to the Illustrator asset may be:
/Users/Walter/Desktop/Job folder/Assets/Illustrator asset.ai

But it's relative path from the AEP file (which is itself located in /Users/Walter/Desktop/Job folder/) is:
Assets/Illustrator asset.ai

I've bolded the common elements.

In the example on the right, the absolute path is:
/Users/Walter/Desktop/Job folder/AI/Illustrator asset.ai

And the relative path from the AEP (located in /Users/Walter/Desktop/Job folder/AEPs/) is:
../AI/Illustrator asset.ai

I've bolded the common elements and underlined the different ones at the end. The ".." means "go up one level" or "parent of the current folder" and it's what gets us back up the Job folder from the AEP (which is nestled in its own subfolder), then forward again into the AI folder.

Does this clarifying or more confusing?

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

by on Mar 13, 2015 at 3:24:03 pm

Hi Walter

--- excellent as usual -- much appreciated --

( I dont know how you manage to learn all this stuff so thoroughly ! )

---------------------- best regards ---chris brett ---

Return to posts index

by on Mar 11, 2015 at 4:06:41 pm

Not always.
I'm talking about separate machines miles apart, collecting projects to thumb drives and sneakernet when this occurs.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]