ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Ae into Pr

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Roberto MataAe into Pr
by on Mar 8, 2015 at 12:51:50 pm

My apologies: this has probably been discussed ad infinitum but I can't seem to find an answer.
If you can think of a thread or link with some detailed explanation, I will be glad to eviscerate this post.

I have just finished my first 2D animation in Ae (with some help from the board, thank you).
I have the individual scenes and audio and now I want to bring it all together for editing in Premiere.
Which is the 'right' or 'best' way to bring my Ae comps into Pr?

Should I import the comps directly in a new Pr project or should I render the comps in Ae and then bring the movies into Pr?

Also, once in Pr, I would like some tips on the most appropriate output format I could select for my animation.

It's 1920x1080 and 24fps comps in Ae. It was supposed to be a 30" commercial for TV, now I've used it as a training for my next project, the pilot for an animated series I want to submit to a competition. I guess each competition has its own specs and required output formats, but I'd like some guidelines on the standard format and compression should I decide to upload it into YouTube and/or Vimeo.

Right now, in Ae, each single sequence or shot (3 to 5 secs) renders into about 200MB .mov files each, which I guess is way over the top.

Finally, I'd like some words on the best frame rate for 2D animation (a la Archer, Futurama, Family Guy...) and the proper way to embed subtitles to my project (should I just insert text in Ae or Pr? Is there some more efficient/easier way?).

Thank you. I hope it's not too much.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Ae into Pr
by on Mar 8, 2015 at 7:57:25 pm

Your workflow depends on your needs - if your animation is finished then render out in a loss-less codec good for editing and bring those clips in Premiere.
Your frame rate depends on the Television standard you are producing this for. NTSC has 29.97 fps but some stations require 60i, PAL 25fps but some require 50i and so on... figure out the specs from the TV station itself and set your frame rate accordingly. From here you will also find the codec and compression specs. There's a ton of information on the subject on this forum so do some investigative work.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Roberto MataRe: Ae into Pr
by on Mar 9, 2015 at 9:54:20 pm

Thanks, but the plot thickens.

As I said before, I have animated some scenes in Ae. Specs: 1920x1080 set to 24fps.
I tried and render each scene in Ae itself into lossless quicktime files. Later, I imported those .mov into Premiere and did a rough cut. I was quite happy with it but after the edition I noticed that some important moves of the characters didn't make it into the cut, so I needed to go back to after effects and make some minor adjustments.

At that moment I realized the dynamic link property and opened a new project with the comps themselves instead of the lossless .mov files.

My average laptop couldn't handle it. I guess I need more ram. Every time I opened the project, either it crashed or give me the missing media warning.

Armed with patience, I finally got new .mov files from Ae with the improvements applied. Imported them into Pr, finished some nice cut and proceeded to export.
I wanted a version for Vimeo, so I followed these steps:

Format: H.264
Preset: HD 1080p 23,976 (I don't know why it doesn't give me the 24 fps option, so I select this one and then, in the Video > Basic video settings tab I choose a frame rate of 24)
checked 'Use maximum render quality'.
Bitrate settings: VBR 2 pass

To my surprise, the resulting video is tiny. Half of the screen played in VLC or when uploaded to Vimeo. No way that's 1080p.
Please, what am I doing wrong?

Return to posts index

Roberto MataRe: Ae into Pr
by on Mar 10, 2015 at 7:44:51 am

Alright, I got it.

Seems that the tab Output > Source Scaling DOES matter. I had black borders selected.

Sorry for the bother.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Ae into Pr
by on Mar 9, 2015 at 4:31:17 pm

The animation houses cheat on frame rates. To save artists' time -- and money -- they often tend to animate at 12 fps.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved