ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Working with PNG and JPG

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sean JahnigWorking with PNG and JPG
by on Mar 8, 2015 at 9:39:53 am

Before you guys bite my head off about using PNG/JPG screenshots rather than re-creating the artwork in illustrator (which i will always do if i have time/choice) let me just say that i've done it this way purely to save time.

I am creating an animated info graphic for an iPad app using screenshots of the actual app - taken from an iPad. The project is finished but i'm concerned because the screenshots that have been animated have lost a bit of resolution compared to the original file. I know that when dealing with vector files you just enable the little sun icon which keeps them sharp when scaled etc. but is there any secret work doing this with the PNG files? Important to note that i do understand that PNG/JPG's cannot be scaled without losing resolution. What i am referring to in this case is a PNG that is scaled down to 60% of it's original size and then nested inside a comp that has been scaled to maybe 110% so overall the PNG is not being taken above it's original resolution... but somehow is getting confused and is showing reduced sharpness

To experiment i have added the PNG to an .AI layer and then imported that into AE which gives me the option to enable the little sun icon. This appears to solve my problem and will be how i proceed in future, but unfortunately the massive project is already complete and changing all the linked files in this way would be a huge process to realign everything.

Any ideas?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Working with PNG and JPG
by on Mar 9, 2015 at 4:24:10 pm

The captures you made are all bitmap; PNG is bitmap. So no upscaling without using the detail-preserving upscale feature in recent AE versions... which I've never had reason to use, so I can't vouch for the quality.

A more likely explanation for the softness is the positioning may be off by half a pixel. You can fix it by adjusting the anchor point.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved