ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

importing map with 170 layers into ae and vectorize?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
constanti dinuimporting map with 170 layers into ae and vectorize?
by on Mar 5, 2015 at 9:09:25 am

hi!
i have a huge psd geographical world map (21 600 x 10 800) with 170 layers. each country is a layer on its own. I want to import this map into AE and to get each country layer as a solid or shape, so it could be a vector. Ideally each layer to be cropped on his own dimension (you know, like when you import a psd into after as a retain layer size comp).

i haven't found a way to achieve this so i'm asking you guys for ideas. Also, do you think will turn out to be a faster reder then importing the map into AE as it is (raster layers)?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: importing map with 170 layers into ae and vectorize?
by on Mar 5, 2015 at 5:03:25 pm

Too bad you worked in Photoshop.

Nothing coming out of Photoshop can use AE's Continuous Rasterization because everything that comes out of Photoshop is Bitmap.

You'd have to use Illustrator to create the map using real vectors. Importing the Photoshop document into Illustrator won't work, either -- it'll still be bitmap.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: importing map with 170 layers into ae and vectorize?
by on Mar 6, 2015 at 8:19:05 pm

You can use the auto trace feature in Illustrator to vectorize the layers, however that still takes some work. I would suggest alternative options - there is a great plugin that works with map data directly in AE and it's only 99 bucks:
http://aescripts.com/geolayers/

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]