ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

uhd to 1080

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Foerster
uhd to 1080
on Mar 4, 2015 at 10:14:08 pm

Hello all, when resizing UHD to 1080 - do I just resize the image in my comp settings and that's it.
I am quite familiar with after effects but my question is larger (pardon pun) than that.
I'm not finding 4K footage any "better" when resized to 1080, sure there's supposed to be more resolution but is there someting else that has to be done besides resizing to take advantage of a greater amount of information and squezzing it into a smaller frame?
4K native looks great of course..just wondering if I'm missing something.
thanks!

thx in Advance.
Mark Foerster
Toronto

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: uhd to 1080
on Mar 4, 2015 at 10:28:14 pm

Off the top of my head I can think of two things, neither of which have much to do with improved image quality. 4K would give you the luxury of re-framing your shots and faking dead-solid-perfect zooms.

There's something to be said for having a boatload of extra pixels at your disposal.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

David Baud
on Mar 5, 2015 at 2:51:35 am

In my experience, yes you get the advantage of oversampling... but it all depends on the quality of your original 4K footage... which camera? which codec for recording?... to me 4K does not mean much... for example if you take a 4K GoPro footage (H.264) on one side and an Alexa 3.4K footage (ARRIRAW log), Alexa will win easily in terms of quality, especially when you scale it down to 1080.

Just my 2 cents,

David Baud
Post & VFX
KOSMOS PRODUCTIONS
Denver - Paris
http://www.kosmos-productions.com

Return to posts index

Mark Foerster
on Mar 5, 2015 at 12:51:39 pm

Thank's Dave and David for the fast response. I'm a shooter primarily and own a Sony F55 (1080 4:2:2/50) As a low light supplement I'm thinking of getting a sony a7s 4:2:0/50 and wonder if shooting in 4K will help its picture but I've never seen 4K downsized to HD - look all that different, thus the question..

I do like to sharpen after fine cut but don't have much knowledge about that and it's a dangerous exercise.
Any AE plug ins you like for sharpening or noise for that matter..
thx thx thx

Mark Foerster csc
Toronto

Return to posts index

David Baud
on Mar 5, 2015 at 4:12:54 pm

For dealing with noise I like Denoiser from Red Giant: it includes also some sharpening to dealing with softness introduced by denoising. I know some others prefer Neat Video but I do not have much experience with it.

Good luck!

David Baud
Post & VFX
KOSMOS PRODUCTIONS
Denver - Paris
http://www.kosmos-productions.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]