ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Reload comp after improvements being made in AI and change in relative positions.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Roberto Mata
Reload comp after improvements being made in AI and change in relative positions.
on Mar 4, 2015 at 6:26:11 pm

More like a complaint of desperation than a question but:

why would a composition change the relative position of MANY of its components (layers) when updating or refreshing after the completion of a modification applied to just one of the layers?

I've improved some illustrator layer (re-drawn) and when I got back into after effects, the position of the rest of the layers was a complete mess.

Can't find any reason to that.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Reload comp after improvements being made in AI and change in relative positions.
on Mar 4, 2015 at 6:32:54 pm

It depends on what you did in Illustrator, I suppose.

If you had to modify the size of the artboard, or deleted old artbosards, you would indeed have one big m3ess on your hands.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Roberto Mata
Re: Reload comp after improvements being made in AI and change in relative positions.
on Mar 4, 2015 at 6:55:48 pm
Last Edited By Roberto Mata on Mar 4, 2015 at 6:59:05 pm

No, that wasn't the case.

I polished one single mouth shape of a character, without changing anything else.
Now the background elements of the scene are a total mess. Oh, but the mouth is is place... that's something.

Oops, forgot: and just to make things a little spicier, one of the elements within a layer imported into after effects as a single AI layer has disappeared. Just great.

I can't do anything to revert, once the AI changes were saved, can I?

Return to posts index

Roberto Mata
on Mar 4, 2015 at 7:17:43 pm

Well, seems I solved it.

Thing is I had turned off the visibility of some layers in the illustrator file before I saved.
I've opened and turned the visibility on again and everything seems in place in AE.
Doesn't make much sense, but it's solved.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 4, 2015 at 7:26:13 pm

Well, that's weird.

There is a lot of After Effects Weirdness going around, and it affects those who run the Yosemite OS in particular. That might be your problem. They say the fix is coming "in the spring". So you may see it in a little over two weeks, or in a little over three months and two weeks.

How did you make this change? Did you use the Edit Original command in AE, or did you open the document directly in Illustrator?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Roberto Mata
on Mar 4, 2015 at 9:02:18 pm

I opened the document directly in illustrator, Dave.
Turned the visibility off to work better on the layer and forgot to turn it on again before I saved.
(which had no relation with the missing parts of the layer on after effects, as every layer except for one were blinded in AI but just two or three were relocated or missing in AE).

Yes, a lot of AE weirdness, even for this Windows user.

Thanks for the help.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 4, 2015 at 10:23:35 pm

Hmmmmm.... does this illustrator document have multiple artboards? It should only have one for use in AE.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Roberto Mata
on Mar 5, 2015 at 11:55:10 am

Just one, Dave.
Anyway my project is back to how it was supposed to, but if I can add anything for people to figure this issue out, I will be glad to help.

Thanks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]