ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Rotating noise to not face the camera

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe MylesRotating noise to not face the camera
by on Mar 4, 2015 at 5:26:49 pm

Is it possible to rotate a solid with noise applied (turbulent, for example) so that the noise itself respects any rotation away from the camera that the solid has?

I've tried every combination of collapsing, pre-comp and 3d I can think of to no avail. For example, if I apply turbulent noise to a solid, pre-comp it and collapse the pre-comp with the contained solid set to 3d, it doesn't work. The pre-comp rotates as expected and the noise stays within the boundaries of the rotated pre-comp. In fact, it actually looks like it's doing everything perfectly until I look closer and see that the grid of noise is still following a perfectly horizontal and vertical grid rather than seeing the small noise squares at an angle.

Any ideas appreciated.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Rotating noise to not face the camera
by on Mar 4, 2015 at 9:42:40 pm

Joe, can you post a screenshot?

Effects are rendered before transforms, so even a noise effect applied to a 3D solid should show perspective and rotation.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Joe MylesRe: Rotating noise to not face the camera
by on Mar 5, 2015 at 12:00:50 am

Well this is embarassing. When I try and recreate the scene it works fine for the first time. I don't get it, I'm pretty familiar with the quirks of After Effects. Either I was crazy or discovered a bug that occasionally appears. Incase anyone comes across this from a websearch, this is After Effects CC 2014. The version that worked (though I had tried this several times before) was a 3d solid pre-comped into a composition that was collapsed.

Walter, I sincerely appreciate you stepping in to assist. Much appreciated.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved