ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Importing an AE project in another AE project does not update or allow me to reload footage

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stephen CaruanaImporting an AE project in another AE project does not update or allow me to reload footage
by on Mar 2, 2015 at 6:25:17 pm

Hi all,

I am a relatively novice user of AE, I mostly use Photoshop, Illustrator and Premiere Pro in my regular line of work. However I have recently had to make use of AE and am finding trouble in "nesting" different AE projects.

First of all, I am using AE CS6.

I have created a project to animate a company's logo. All OK there.

I also created another project to do some other stuff in but I would like to start the video with that animated logo first and then do whatever I need to do.

So I imported the logo AE project normally, just like other files, and put the imported composition in my new project's timeline. Which works just fine.

BUT...!!! I had to update the logo project (made some cosmetic animation changes) and realised that the changes were not reflected in second project (where the logo comp was imported).

So I thought I could manually right-click and select "Reload footage", or "replace footage" to force a reimport of the project, but these are all greyed out! The options are available for all other imported assets, but not for the imported AE logo project.

Any suggestions as to what I can do to reflect the logo project's changes in my second project, or whether my logic of importing an AE project into another one is flawed from the start?

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
Stephen

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Importing an AE project in another AE project does not update or allow me to reload footage
by on Mar 2, 2015 at 8:01:55 pm

[Stephen Caruana] "Any suggestions as to what I can do to reflect the logo project's changes in my second project, or whether my logic of importing an AE project into another one is flawed from the start?"

Importing a project into Ae essentially creates an independent copy of the original AEP within your new one. It does not link to the oroginal AEP on disk, so any changes you make to the original AEP will not be reflected in the importing project.

A few ideas for how you might work here:

You could re-import the AEP into your second project and replace the usage of the original.

You could render from the original logo AEP and use the rendered output instead of the original AEP in your other projects.

You could try this script:
http://aescripts.com/project-sync/

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Stephen CaruanaRe: Importing an AE project in another AE project does not update or allow me to reload footage
by on Mar 2, 2015 at 8:34:04 pm

Hi Walter,

thanks so much for the reply.

With regards to the first options you suggested (replacing the project or rendering), my only issue is that this would kind of mess up any effects/editing I applied to the clip in the second project, and I'll have to recreate them.

With the second option (using footage), this should indeed solve the "reimport" issue, but I'm worried about quality loss due to the double-render (once to render the logo, and a second time to render the new project it's used in). Besides that, I'd have to render the logo animation every time I make a small change and want to try it out.

I was kinda hoping that a solution might exist where, although the logo AEP is imported as an independent, unlinked project, it could just be seamlessly replaced automatically like with other assets (images, sounds etc...), so practically your first option, but AE does the replacing, which in essence would be the "replace footage" option I guess hehe.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Importing an AE project in another AE project does not update or allow me to reload footage
by on Mar 3, 2015 at 10:41:06 am

[Stephen Caruana] "With regards to the first options you suggested (replacing the project or rendering), my only issue is that this would kind of mess up any effects/editing I applied to the clip in the second project, and I'll have to recreate them."

You can replace items on the timeline without affecting their properties or effects. Select the item you will replace on the timeline. Locate the new item you'd like to use in the project panel. Hold the Alt key while dragging that item from the project panel and dropping it on the selected layer(s) in the timeline panel.

You can make global replacements throughout a project by similarly Alt+dragging one item onto another in the project panel.

[Stephen Caruana] "With the second option (using footage), this should indeed solve the "reimport" issue, but I'm worried about quality loss due to the double-render (once to render the logo, and a second time to render the new project it's used in)."

If you use a lossless output module like the default Lossless, there will be no quality loss.

[Stephen Caruana] "I was kinda hoping that a solution might exist where, although the logo AEP is imported as an independent, unlinked project, it could just be seamlessly replaced automatically like with other assets (images, sounds etc...), so practically your first option, but AE does the replacing, which in essence would be the "replace footage" option I guess hehe."

Maybe try the Project Sync script/plugin I linked to earlier. I keep meaning to dig into it, but I think it does what you describe here.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]