ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Parent to corner pin

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jack HextallParent to corner pin
by on Mar 2, 2015 at 1:40:18 pm

Hi all,

I'm trying to do something that's probably very simple, but all my searches so far have led me to Mocha-related problems.

I have a 2D scene of a computer on a desk and I've inserted another comp into the screen of the computer.

I did this with corner pins. I then want to let the screen fill the comp (zoom in) so I keyframed the corners to revert to their reset values. Of course when I parent the other layers to the screen they don't change because parenting doesn't affect effects, only transformations.

Is there a simple solution to this? I tried to make all the layers 3D and then "line up" the screen to fit the computer. But the other layers don't match the transformations when I do that, maybe because I'm pretty inexperienced with 3D.

Any help much appreciated!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Parent to corner pin
by on Mar 2, 2015 at 4:27:57 pm

There's a reason why you found a lot of Mocha-based solutions. Mocha's the best solution. Corner pin is not.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jack HextallRe: Parent to corner pin
by on Mar 2, 2015 at 4:36:20 pm

Thanks for the reply.

I thought Mocha was only for camera/object tracking of footage. I'm trying to arrange the 2D elements in my scene so that I can angle the contents of the screen to fit the computer, then expand the screen to fill the composition. I'd like the other elements in the composition (desk, computer etc.) to move with it.

Is this only possible if I arrange all the elements in 3D? The simplicity of corner pinning is that I can achieve a 3D effect very easily, is it impossible to then reverse the effect and make all the other elements follow?

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Parent to corner pin
by on Mar 2, 2015 at 5:30:29 pm

[Jack Hextall] "I'm trying to arrange the 2D elements in my scene so that I can angle the contents of the screen to fit the computer, then expand the screen to fill the composition. I'd like the other elements in the composition (desk, computer etc.) to move with it. Is this only possible if I arrange all the elements in 3D?"

Because you are talking about changing perspective, yes, this really only makes sense in 3D.

If you did this as more of a snap zoom, you could use motion blur to hide the flaws in the transition.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Olly ColemanRe: Parent to corner pin
by on Mar 2, 2015 at 7:43:12 pm

I'd pre comp the 2D layer as a 3D layer with the desired camera move added, then motion track each corner in another composition applying each track to the corresponding corner pin "corner"... Make sure the 2D comp is vector so as not to get resolution problems as you track in to the element.
ocdigitalnz.com

Return to posts index

Jack HextallRe: Parent to corner pin
by on Mar 3, 2015 at 4:47:13 pm

Thanks for this advise guys. I ended up performing a camera move on the 2D layers, with the reversed corner pin move of the "screen" over the top. As you said Walter, it's flawed but I've covered it up with a nice load of blur.

I still feel there should be a simpler way around this but never mind if not!

The reasn I covered it up with the reverse corner pinned "screen" was that it couldn't continuously rasterize. It's a comp, so when I clicked the sun it collapsed the transformations (changed the comp) rather than keeping the vectors crisp. Any way around this?

Cheers

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]