ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

3D Text project NOT rendering in 3D

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jack Thomas
3D Text project NOT rendering in 3D
on Mar 2, 2015 at 2:31:17 am

I've tried a 3D text template, and have created a 3D text project from scratch. In both cases, everything in the work area looks great. But the rendered movie does not show the text as 3D. It's flat 2D.

After Effects CC 2014 installed and updated
Ray Traced 3D turned on
Text with 3D layer turned on
Geometry setting with Extrusion Depth at 150
Layer of Light added
Looks great on screen
Then won't render properly. Instead, I get the 2D text with intended motion, but no depth.

Return to posts index

Jack Thomas
Re: 3D Text project NOT rendering in 3D
on Mar 2, 2015 at 4:41:46 am

I performed the exact same process in AE CC (non 2014) and the 3d text works fine, BUT it takes forever. I saved the file, opened it in AE CC 2014 and it is still not working. Still looking for help to fix this issue. 3D text won't render out in AE CC 2014.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Mar 2, 2015 at 3:27:35 pm

Please show screenshots. I would guess that you are looking at an orthographic view like Front.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Jack Thomas
on Mar 2, 2015 at 4:25:14 pm

Hi Walter, Thank you. Here's a folder with some screen shots. I show you that:

1) I can see 3D in the work area
2) There's no 3D after it renders

Link to Google Drive folder of screen shots:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B154gs_ZqkXOflNHdXZ3ODNaY3ltU212YU5...

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Mar 3, 2015 at 10:35:15 am

Are you rendering via the render queue or AME? Does it make a difference?

Have you tried resetting preferences? Hold Ctrl+Alt+Shift (Windows) or Command+Option+Shift (Mac OS) while Ae application is starting.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Jack Thomas
on Mar 4, 2015 at 7:47:35 am

Okay, so I reset the preferences and rendered again through Media Encoder. Same result with no 3d.

Then I used the render que and it was taking FOR EV ER. So I canceled it and saw some options for deep-level settings. So I went in there and looked for any possible way to make it render faster (i.e. render only 1 second of it rather than the entire 30 seconds).

I reduced quality as well... and that one second still took a couple of minutes... but it came out with 3d.

So long story short, it seems that the AE CC 2014 Render Que provides the 3D I need, but now I need to figure out how to make it render faster. A lot faster.

I am running a top of the line imac w/ 32G memory, and there's no reason a simple 3d plain text word should take 45 minutes to render. That's ridiculous. Something's wrong.

I've downloaded AE templates that are far more complex, and last 30 seconds, and render out with media encoder in just a couple of minutes tops.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Mar 4, 2015 at 10:25:39 am

If it renders with no 3D via AME, but 3D via the render queue, that's a bug -- please report it [link].

[Jack Thomas] "I am running a top of the line imac w/ 32G memory, and there's no reason a simple 3d plain text word should take 45 minutes to render. That's ridiculous. Something's wrong. I've downloaded AE templates that are far more complex, and last 30 seconds, and render out with media encoder in just a couple of minutes tops."

Ray tracing is very computationally demanding, and it's really easy to build scenes that render in minutes per frame instead of the frames per minute we're used to with Ae's Classic 3D renderer.

Ae's raytracing renderer is accelerated by CUDA-enabled NVIDIA GPUs, and runs signficantly faster there than it does on the CPU. What graphics card is in your iMac?

If you want fast-rendering 3D text, look at a GPU-based plugin like Video Copilot Element 3D, Mettle Shapeshifter, Zaxwerks Invigorator, or BorisFX 3D Units.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Mark Johnson
on Jun 9, 2015 at 9:55:48 pm

Jack, I am having the EXACT same problem with the text extrusion not rendering in AE CC through Adobe Media Encoder. I've tried everything. Did you ever figure it out???

Return to posts index

Mark Johnson
on Jun 9, 2015 at 10:03:35 pm

You may want to read this short thread https://forums.creativecow.net/thread/2/1062725. Looks like Adobe is on it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]