ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Ram Preview Issue?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adis Kapetanovic
Ram Preview Issue?
on Mar 1, 2015 at 5:45:16 pm

Everytime I try to RAM preview a composition, the audio plays normally but the video starts one second in (it won't play the first second of the video). I can't find a solution to the problem. It's been going on for several months. When the RAM preview loops it will begin from the beginning of the timeline.

It works correctly on any screen I connect to my macbook but not my main screen.

Anyone experience this before?

Return to posts index

Olly Coleman
Re: Ram Preview Issue?
on Mar 1, 2015 at 8:42:21 pm

Yeah me too it's driving me nutz!!! Very simple composition, even with all FX off and a single layer of footage only it still will only playback RAM previews at around 17 fps, with the audio WAY out of sync! I try Shit-RAm with 1 skip frame which sometimes works but not often. I've configured everything as per specs and am using CS6 on a brand new 3.7 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon E5 Mac Pro. Used to work fine on my iMac at home, also fairly new, maybe 18 month old highest spec model available. I'm doing work which really does need very careful attention to audio cues and I'm losing my mind here... PLEASE CAN ANYONE SHED SOME LIGHT ON THIS??? Only difference i can think of is that the newer machine is running Yosemite, but the machine at home is running Mavericks? I'm dying here... Oh hey I just thought of something, I'm running two 4k Samsung 28" monitors via the thunderbolt ports on the new Mac Pro... Is that something that might affect things? Hope not...

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 2, 2015 at 4:25:11 pm

This is a problem known to exist between AE Creative Cloud 2014 and the Yosemite OS. The only current resolution to it is to run Mavericks as an OS.

Adobe promises a fix to this issue some time in the spring. That's a three-month-wide window of time.

So if you are able to run Mavericks, it depends on your level of impatience for the fix. If you can't run Mavericks, you have to put up with it or use CS6... which as a Creative Cloud renter, you can access.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Olly Coleman
on Mar 2, 2015 at 7:38:43 pm

Hi thanks Dave for that, I'll try the Mavericks method. You say "or use CS6", problem is I'm using CS6... Do you mean to say that other Yosemite+CS6 users are not experiencing these difficulties?
Thanks again
Olly

ocdigitalnz.com

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 2, 2015 at 10:41:23 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Mar 2, 2015 at 10:41:48 pm

Sorry, that was a bit unclear by me. The culprit is Yosemite for ALL current AE versions, CS6-CC 2014.

I don't know any of the scuttlebut on the Apple user forums, but I doubt people's remarks about Yosemite have been very kind.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Olly Coleman
on Mar 3, 2015 at 1:18:33 am

Cool thanks Dave, I'm gonna give Mavericks a go... Cheers.

Return to posts index

Olly Coleman
on Mar 2, 2015 at 8:09:33 pm

Some further info... I've managed to get things running ok (not perfect always) using 1 skip frame in the RAM preview settings. Sometimes the timebase of the audio gets confused in the first playback run-thru giving sped up chipmunk style vocal, but syncs back in as it resets to loop again. With no skip frame the audio is about a second out of sync and video playback is as little as 12fps. Annoying, but the skip frame is a workaround...
Olly
ocdigitalnz.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]