ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Filmclips are going crazy, starts repeating frames :-s FCPX->AE

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Susan HunterFilmclips are going crazy, starts repeating frames :-s FCPX->AE
by on Feb 27, 2015 at 10:22:43 am

Dear HappyCowers,

I'm doing some fire special effects with After Effects and have this huge problem.
I exported my project from FCPX with fcpxml and with the clipexporter app opened it in After Effects.
I already rotoscoped the entire scene, and now when I export it I see frames repeating themselves, it's really painful.
When I watched all the clips in AE, I saw that it had nothing to do with the applied effects, but the clips themselves where 'corrupted?'
Then I looked up the frame rate, and AE says it's 12,5 fps instead of 25 fps? :-s Maybe it's because there are clips of 25fps and 50fps in the same composition?
I just don't want to do all the rotoscoping again from scratch :-s
I looked it up on the internet, but haven't found anyone with the same problem, I don't know the technical term for it!

Thank you so much, it would be great if anyone has experience with this!

xxx

Susan

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Filmclips are going crazy, starts repeating frames :-s FCPX->AE
by on Feb 27, 2015 at 3:12:10 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Feb 27, 2015 at 6:35:23 pm

Working with mixed frame rates is ALWAYS messy in AE. To eliminate the mess, people usually know the frame rate necessary when the project is delivered. This helps them figure out the workflow among applications used on the project. It doesn't sound like you did this.

Please tell us about the final deliverable, and tell us about your procedure dealing with frame rates in FCP.

You can probably salvage a lot of the roto work, but we just don't know at the moment. In particular, we don't know anything about the frame rates of your AE comps; for example, that mention of 12.5 fps within AE could be an indication of lack of AE experience, user error or a mistake made in FCP.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Susan HunterRe: Filmclips are going crazy, starts repeating frames :-s FCPX->AE
by on Mar 1, 2015 at 2:34:15 pm

Thank you very much for your reply!

The final deliverable is 24fps 1080p.
In fcpx I had some minor frame rate problems, also repeating crazy frames, but I could solve those.
I thought to put my AE comp frame rate at 25fps, and then later change it to 24 in fcpx, but whatever comp framerate I use in AE, it keeps flipping.
I guess it's maybe because it's 25i and 50p, so interlaced and progressive together might be the problem?
Maybe the problems lies in that AE only opens fragments of entire clips, because of the script?
The 12,5 fps is what AE says the clip is, but that's not true, it is 25i.

Sorry for my confusion, I've indeed lack of experience, I'm only working in AE for a year, and not that much!

Thank you so much!

xxx

Susan

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Filmclips are going crazy, starts repeating frames :-s FCPX->AE
by on Mar 2, 2015 at 4:18:16 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Mar 2, 2015 at 6:44:53 pm

Oops. Time to forget about AE for a moment and take a step backward. There are fundamental issues to be resolved in FCP.

First, the deliverable -- is it 24 fps, or 23.976 (aka 23.98) fps? Of the two, 23.976 is the more common, and yes -- those fractions do matter very much indeed. So you need to determine that.

Second, you need to turn your footage's frame rate into the the deliverable frame rate. You have two options for fixing the 25fps footage once you determine the deliverable frame rate... either 24 fps or 23.976 (aka 23.98) fps.

You can CONFORM, which changes the footage's frame rate -- the frame rate is simply reassigned to a different value (24 or 23.976). It slows it down a tiny bit and the footage runs a tiny bit longer. If the video has audio with it, you also have to change the pitch by a like amount. How much does it get changed? That depends on the final delivery frame rate. Conforming isn't advised for video with lip-sync audio. You can conform with Cinema Tools.

You can also CONVERT, which doesn't alter the duration of the footage or the pitch of the audio. It does lots of calculating to create 24 (or 23.976) frames every second where there was once 25 frames every second. You can do it via software (Compressor or even better, Twixtor) or via hardware like a Terranex box. Hardware's more expensive, even to hire it done, but it's the best.

Now how about that 50i stuff?

It depends on whether the camera shot it Progressive or Interlaced, and you haven't said. If the camera shot progressive, it can be treated like 25 fps footage. If it shot interlaced, it will need to be converted, as described above.

Once all the footage is at the same frame rate -- which for you will be either 24 fps or 23.976 (aka 23.98) then and ONLY then can you edit, and eventually go to AE. Know that AE calls a spade a spade -- if the footage is 23.98 in FCP, AE will call it 23.976, the actual frame rate, and you must work in 23.976 in AE.

Sorry but your workflow was bass-ackwards, and it's something that must be fixed before you go any further, or your troubles multiply later on.

And here you thought this frame rate stuff was easy to work with. Once you have your FCP issues sorted out, you can then begin AE work again.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]