ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Morphing text from bold to regular?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Claire HeginbothamMorphing text from bold to regular?
by on Feb 27, 2015 at 6:51:17 am

Hi, I've been struggling with morphing a font from bold to regular, so far I've tried converting the text into shape layers and animating that, but the font (which I have to use) has joined section in bold that don't translate into regular. I saw a thread suggesting a linear wipe, but as far as I understood by testing it out, it will only transition not morph. At this stage the only thing I can think of doing is simply animating the opacity, which of course wont quite give me what I need.

Anyone got any idea's on how to do the morph? (magical code expressions will also be much appreciated and venerated!)

Thanks!
~Claire

p.s I'm new to CreativeCOW, please let me know if the format of my post is incorrect?

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: Morphing text from bold to regular?
by on Feb 27, 2015 at 3:04:29 pm

How about putting a stroke (in Layer Effects) on the regular font which matches, as closely as possible, the bold version, then doing a dissolve between the two? I can't imagine that a dissolve between a bold and a regular typeface would look so much different from a morph as to be very noticeable, unless, of course, it's happening very slowly, then you'd see the outline growing, rather than dissolving.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Claire HeginbothamRe: Morphing text from bold to regular?
by on Mar 2, 2015 at 6:13:53 am

The Stroke method is working to some extent. Unfortunately because the text has a rather significant zoom its visible that the stroke outlines are curved and not sharp like the font. It looks pretty close though, it would just be a 'nice to have' to conform the stoke edges.The whole sequence centers around the text. Its pretty much a zoom out of extreme close up text on a solid colour background.

By dissolve do you mean animate the transparency between the two?

Thanks for the help!

Return to posts index

Jason JantzenRe: Morphing text from bold to regular?
by on Feb 27, 2015 at 5:13:06 pm

Or, like Joseph suggests, you could use the stroke on the text layer, and then animate the width of the stroke. It's probably the best way around it.

Is the text taking center stage? Because I did this once just to figure it out, and did it with shape layers with success (had to add some vertices to match the starting and ending keyframes), but in the end, nobody noticed it because the text wasn't taking center stage (it was kind of small).

So what I'm saying, and what Joseph's saying, is if it's quick, nobody will really notice the animation, but only that something's changed. And if you animate the stroke, you'll get your morph without dissolving anything.

Jason Jantzen
vimeo.com/jasonj

Return to posts index

Claire HeginbothamRe: Morphing text from bold to regular?
by on Mar 2, 2015 at 6:17:57 am

So far it appears that the stoke method has the best effect. Unfortunately the stroke edges are rounded, and because the text has a large change in scale it is noticeable.

The text is actually the only thing on the screen, so its pretty noticeable. It goes from an extreme closeup to zooming out so you can see the whole word. Just to clarify, when you say dissolve do you mean to animate the transparency?

Return to posts index

Jason JantzenRe: Morphing text from bold to regular?
by on Mar 2, 2015 at 9:04:03 pm

You probably used the layer style stroke effect or Generate Stroke if you're getting a rounded stroke. Try doing it with the text animator instead. I tested it with Helvetica on various letters and it seems to do the trick just fine. You might also want to animate the tracking at the same time to adjust the spacing.

Jason Jantzen
vimeo.com/jasonj

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]