ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Plus sign random opacity

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anthony MarzilliPlus sign random opacity
by on Feb 25, 2015 at 4:38:51 pm

Alright peeps. I was given a photoshop file with plus signs that look like this. What would be the best way to make a grid full of plus signs where some are randomly fading away? Kinda a twinkle effect?

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Plus sign random opacity
by on Feb 25, 2015 at 5:01:31 pm

if all the + signs are separated, you could import the psd as a comp and then use an expression on the opacity of each + to make them twinkle... something like this might get you started in the right direction: wiggle(1,100) the first digit is the frequency in samples-per-second, so 1 is once per second, the second digit is the amount, you could set that lower if needed.

if the + signs happen to be a single text block in photoshop, after importing the psd as a comp, you could select that layer and choose layer>convert to editable text. then you could apply a text animator for opacity (if you twirl down the text properties, there is a little 'animate' menu to the right of 'text', select opacity). set the opacity animator to 0 (or the minimum value you desire). then, roomette menu to the right of 'animator 1' select selector>wiggly. at that point they should start to twinkle, just tweak the wiggly properties as needed.

if it is a flattened file, or the pluses are merged as a single, un-editable layer, then I'd try creating a new solid, add fractal noise and then mosaic. set the mosaic block size as needed to match the grid of pluses. then animate the fractal noise evolutions and tweak the brightness/contrast to get a twinkling grid of squares.

use that solid as a track matte for the pluses, or for another green solid over the top of the pluses.

Kevin Camp
Art Director

Return to posts index

Anthony MarzilliRe: Plus sign random opacity
by on Feb 25, 2015 at 5:52:59 pm

Yeah... its a solid layer that I can not edit. So the noise was my first idea but don't think it would be as ideal as I wanted it to be. I made a shape layer and repeated that... not ideal... Also used particular in a grid array but couldn't tweak the random opacity settings into an ideal way.... So for now they are just getting a solid plus background instead of me trying to make so many random layers for something that wont be on screen too long. Thanks for helping with the ideas. Just limited with how they sent it to me.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Plus sign random opacity
by on Feb 25, 2015 at 6:46:17 pm

I'd politely ask them to re-send it in a form that you can work with... i.e. not flattened.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved