ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Scaling a mask to match a layer shape.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dylan HargreavesScaling a mask to match a layer shape.
by on Feb 24, 2015 at 10:17:46 am

Hey folks, a bit rusty with the old After Effects skills, so I thought I'd drop by to borrow your brains for a moment...

I'm animating a title slate where I want to animate a comic-style speech bubble by scaling it up. The speech bubble is layered on top of a solid background layer.

I'm going to scale the speech bubble up from zero and I want the inside of it to be transparent, so a third layer underneath the background is revealed inside the speech bubble. So essentially:

Top Layer - speech bubble
Middle Layer - Background
Bottom layer - talent

Easy enough to do by manually drawing a mask on the background layer which matches the outline of the speech bubble.

Where I'm coming unstuck is scaling the mask to match the scaling up from zero of the speech bubble. I've tried track matting and a couple of other things, but no joy yet. I'm sure this easy as hell if you know what you're doing, but like I say, I'm a little rusty!

Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Scaling a mask to match a layer shape.
by on Feb 24, 2015 at 11:23:14 am

Create Speech Bubble as solid and animate. Duplicate layer and use as track matte for the Background layer, comped on top of Speech Bubble. Use Matte Choker to shrink the Background to reveal the outline of the Speech Bubble (you may have to precompose the Track matte layer and background and apply Matte Choker on the precomp).

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Scaling a mask to match a layer shape.
by on Feb 24, 2015 at 6:08:22 pm

I like to go no-brainer. I'd make the speech bubble in a separate comp so I could use it as a nested comp and scale it up.
If anything needs to happen in the speech bubble, it isn't tough to do.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved