ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

From Laptop to Desktop PC

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
konrad van kempenFrom Laptop to Desktop PC
by on Feb 23, 2015 at 6:16:40 pm

This is my first post, so I don't know if this is in the right spot.

So I really like using After Effects and all, but there is one thing I don't like about it. My Laptop can barely run it.Everything is so slow and it crashes everytime, even after I had changed settings. Sometimes I can't even play a clean vid (without effects). So my question is: should I buy a PC. My laptop had cost quite a lot of money, so I was wondering if I could sell it and buy a second hand PC. I barely move my laptop, so a PC won't be a big problem for me. Do you think it's worth selling my laptop for a new PC?

my laptop : http://www.acer.co.za/ac/en/ZA/content/model/NX.RYPEA.002

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: From Laptop to Desktop PC
by on Feb 24, 2015 at 4:03:07 pm

[konrad van kempen] "Sometimes I can't even play a clean vid (without effects)."

Ae was not designed as a real-time application. The only way to get real-time playback is via RAM preview [link], even for footage with no effects applied.

[konrad van kempen] "My Laptop can barely run it.Everything is so slow and it crashes everytime, even after I had changed settings."

See my comment on slow above -- I'm not sure what your expectation is, so I'm not sure how to judge what you're reporting.

Regarding crashes -- this shouldn't be happening. What kinds of crashes are you seeing? What are you doing with the application when it crashes? What version of Ae are you running?

6 GB is not a lot of RAM at all for Ae. You could probably get better performance out of your laptop by upgrading your RAM. That said, you certainly get more performance for the same price on a desktop than you do a laptop.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

konrad van kempenRe: From Laptop to Desktop PC
by on Feb 24, 2015 at 9:17:24 pm

hey man

thanks for answering, by playing a clean video I meant RAM previewing, it just takes a really long time.
When my clips aren't rendered yet, I go through it, and it just laggs so much that I can barely move the clip.
And by crashing I mean that my laptop just turns off for no reason. Do you think I should upgrade my ram, would that help much, and how much should I get?

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: From Laptop to Desktop PC
by on Feb 25, 2015 at 10:02:55 am

[konrad van kempen] "thanks for answering, by playing a clean video I meant RAM previewing, it just takes a really long time.
When my clips aren't rendered yet, I go through it, and it just laggs so much that I can barely move the clip."

Have you used Ae on other computers?

[konrad van kempen] "And by crashing I mean that my laptop just turns off for no reason. Do you think I should upgrade my ram, would that help much, and how much should I get?"

Well, that's not good. It's possible your laptop is overheating under load, in which case more RAM would not prevent the shutdown even if it does let Ae run faster.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]