ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

AE Trimming my Footage in Project Window

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Courtney HowlettAE Trimming my Footage in Project Window
by on Feb 23, 2015 at 1:52:38 pm

I wasn't sure how to search for this, as if I type trimming or whatever, i get a guide on how to trim in after effects. The problem i'm having is that when I drop 2 of my video files into AE, they become shorter. Even though when I play them in VLC they are actual length. One of the videos is 9 mins and it drops down to 2:50 and the other is 14 mins that drops down to 5. I have another video in this project that is also 9 minutes, but doesn't get clipped. And the main thing thats confusing me is that they are clipped upon import. Their time is shorter in the project window, not when I place it on the timeline. I have no idea why this is happening. Hopefully someone here can help me.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: AE Trimming my Footage in Project Window
by on Feb 23, 2015 at 7:17:00 pm

It sounds like a frame rate mismatch. Just drag the clip onto the Make Comp icon at the bottom of the project window and see what happens.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Courtney HowlettRe: AE Trimming my Footage in Project Window
by on Feb 24, 2015 at 12:41:38 am

That was it! Thank you so much! It was so hard to search for answers for that, due to the words I had to type. You've saved me so much time, haha. (I hate being a beginner)

Return to posts index

Steve BentleyRe: AE Trimming my Footage in Project Window
by on Feb 24, 2015 at 7:59:50 pm

You can also force a new frame rate in the project window. Select the footage in the project window, then under file, choose interpret footage and then change the frame rate. This is great for putting a 29.97 piece of footage in a 30 fps comp or running a 24fps clip slightly slower but without a 3:2 sequence within a 30 fps comp.
It's also great for something that was shot at 60fps or rendered at 60fps (where the frame rate flag travels with the footage), and get it to play in its intended slow mo. You just interpret the footage down to 30 fps and it suddenly gets longer in a 30fps comp. No frame duplication, its just taking each frame that was there and mapping it each frame holder available in the time line. It's also great for the opposite, speeding up a 30 fps clip to twice that (interpret to 60fps and put in 30fps comp)

One other way we use this is when a client wants something slower - if everything in our AE project has been generated within AE (ie keyframes, masks moving etc, but no running footage), instead of changing all the keyframes we'll just tell AE to render this comp at a higher frame rate and then reimport the footage back in, set it to the original frame rate and voila, clean slower motion with every frame being newly animated.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved