ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

zit removal and clone tool tracking problem

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Garnet Campbellzit removal and clone tool tracking problem
by on Feb 20, 2015 at 11:29:45 pm

Here is my shot, I'm able to track the spot on her nose ok with the motion tracker and I can apply that tracking data to clone position but I can't figure out where to get the data for the clone source tracking... I know is the same tracking data as the "clone position" only offset... I'm not familiar with how to write expressions or anything like that? Could someone explain a simple solution? Or maybe I'm using the wrong tool.

Return to posts index

Steve BentleyRe: zit removal and clone tool tracking problem
by on Feb 22, 2015 at 9:40:30 pm

I'm not sure if this what you are looking for but here's how we solve this - personally I find the clone tool just too tedious for all but the shortest shots. Use the tracking data to move a mask around (or the layer holding the mask) then just put another copy of the video through that mask (using track matte)but shift the copy by however far you want the offset to be to have clean skin show through. These two elements sit on top of the original.

This has the advantage of you being able to keyframe the mask over time so it can better conform to the blemish and it allows you to key frame the copy over time so you can put a better "clone source" through that mask. I find doing things by hand with any of the paint tools can create some terrible "boiling" of the fix.

It also allows you to feather the mask over time for better blending.

The biggest advantage is that you can now color correct the copy and use a different transfer function for how it sits on top of the original. Many times using the colour, hue or other type of transfer function will do a better job of covering the blemish since you aren't really covering it and then there are no matte lines to deal with.

As for using the expressions, don't forget about the pick whip. Just add an expression to the layer's property you want to control with data from another layer, and then drag the pick whip from the destination layer to the data layer's property, and the expression will be written for you.

Return to posts index

Garnet CampbellRe: zit removal and clone tool tracking problem
by on Feb 22, 2015 at 11:58:41 pm

thanks for that... I got so caught up in the clone tool I forgot the obvious just tracking a mask layer. Lesson learned FORGET THE CLONE TOOL!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved