ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Element 3D layer centering issue for logo with multiple extruded elements

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Diana Gualda
Element 3D layer centering issue for logo with multiple extruded elements
on Feb 20, 2015 at 11:14:16 pm

Hi, I'm working on a logo containing multiple elements. In After Effects I created a mask path layer for each of the 3 elements, then a new Element layer. In the Element 3d controls I assigned each of the paths to a Custom Text & Mask. Within Scene Setup, I've created 3 extrusions. Problem is, all the elements are centered and piled on top of each other rather than in their proper respective locations.

I tried creating a common anchor point for each of the original path layers, to no effect. E3D there is an option to change the Anchor Point XYZ, which has no effect back in the composition. Also an option to change Alignment (From Model, Top, Bottom, etc.), which does affect the positioning back in the comp, but I have no way to make it precise.

Is there any way to prevent all the layers from centering in the first place, or if not, to use precise values to re-align (as opposed to just eyeballing it)??

Many thanks.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Re: Element 3D layer centering issue for logo with multiple extruded elements
on Feb 24, 2015 at 11:16:42 am

Are you creating one instance of E3D or three- one for each extruded shape?

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Diana Gualda
on Feb 24, 2015 at 11:46:32 pm

Not sure I understand. Does seeing how I've set things up help? I suppose I really only need two extrusions (could combine the "little strike" and "big strike"), but still same problem with centering.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Feb 25, 2015 at 7:32:36 am

Instead of having one layer of Element for all the parts of the logo, split that up in 2 or 3 separate layers of Element, each for one of the parts of the logo. This will give you better positioning control over the parts. You can generate a Null for each of the Element objects then and parent all to a Master Null to control the position of the whole logo.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Diana Gualda
on Mar 17, 2015 at 6:58:08 pm

Nulls, of course! Thanks Ted. Sorry for the delay, the project got bumped for a while but I'm back at it now.

So I've done 4 separate Element layers now, one for each part of the logo. (In each Element layer, I've assigned the logo path for that part to Path Layer 1 under Custom Texts and Masks.)

Now, what do you mean by generating a Null for each of these? I know how to create a Null and parent each of the Element layers to it. What do the extra Nulls for each Element layer accomplish (and by "generate a Null for each of the Element objects" do you mean create new Null layers then parent each of the Element layers to one? (I'm still somewhat of a novice in AE so forgive the ignorance.)

Thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]