ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Unable to allocate enough memory to current frame

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam Bulley
Unable to allocate enough memory to current frame
on Feb 19, 2015 at 10:31:59 pm
Last Edited By Adam Bulley on Feb 19, 2015 at 10:32:53 pm

I'm continually getting an error message when trying to render a project.

I've tried rendering it in different formats (Quicktime and image sequence), but continue to get the error, usually after 3 or 4 hours of rendering. The RAM sits at 100% being used when the error occurs (16GB).

After speaking to Adobe I've tried a number of different things. The issue seems to be related to either Filmconvert or Magic Bullet Color Suite plugins as when I removed these I was able to render the file. This doesn't help as I need these plugins to complete the look.

Does anyone have any advice?

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
Re: Unable to allocate enough memory to current frame
on Feb 20, 2015 at 1:12:05 am

It might cause by where those specific plug-ins sit in the hierarchy of nested comps and other effects. (For the most part) before after effects adds an effect. it "renders" the comp to that point and applys the effect to the render held in memory. Even if the final output comp is HD sized, a larger nested comp with an effect on it could make the memory max out.

It could also be that the plug-in that's causing the problem cannot render beyond a certain rez and the comp that the effect is within is either too large or generates a temp "render" that is too large due to super sampling required for some other effect or manipulation.

AE has never been stellar at handling memory (after a complex render I have to restart my machine to truly clear the ram, or you can wait a good long time before AE will start up again)

Is there any other info you can provide?

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Feb 20, 2015 at 5:27:35 am

I got that error a bunch. Then I bought a new computer.

Return to posts index

Adam Bulley
on Feb 20, 2015 at 12:03:05 pm

I'm thinking along the same lines Tero!

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Feb 20, 2015 at 1:54:18 pm

Could you render that in passes? Render it out with plug ins that don't hog the memory, bring the rendered clip in and put the rest in etc.

Return to posts index

Adam Bulley
on Feb 21, 2015 at 3:59:47 pm

Thanks Tero. What I ended up doing was rendering small sections. The RAM would max out, crash the render if I left it running. Had to restart AE to get the memory to reset itself and then start from where I'd left off. Very frustrating! Nice idea re rendering without the plugins though, and then try them afterwards. I've actually come to the conclusion that I'm not going to do anymore work on it until I get a new Mac!

Return to posts index

patrick weishampel
on Jan 26, 2016 at 5:30:29 am

I'm having this same issue. Has anyone come up with any solutions(other than buying a new computer)?

Return to posts index

Kalle Kannisto
on Jan 26, 2016 at 6:19:40 pm

I did one project that I had this problem with as an image sequence, continuing forward from the point where it failed whenever it failed.

(And when done with the project I got a new computer.)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]