ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Glitch Effect happening too fast

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Yuri Tsyshevsky
Glitch Effect happening too fast
on Feb 19, 2015 at 12:30:41 pm

Greetings. Posting here for the first time.

Recently i watched this Glitch Effect tutorial, that done with FX and expressions - youtube.com/watch?v=o1O54z4C76M

I had no problems replicating everything, though the only problem is that my 'glitches' flickering way to fast (like 2-3 time faster) compared to those at the start of the tutorial.
Saw the guy at the comment with the same problem, unfortunately there was no reply.

If this means anything - i'm using CS6 and the composition is at 60 FPS. Any ideas what might be triggering this problem and how to fix this?

Return to posts index

Paul Esteves
Re: Glitch Effect happening too fast
on Feb 19, 2015 at 4:59:06 pm

I didn't watch the whole tutorial from start to finish, but jumped around to see what he did. It seems to me like you want to animate your "slider control" to stay on for a longer time if you want the glitch to stay on the screen for longer? That slider control controls when the you see the glitch effect and when you don't.

Return to posts index

Daniel Waldron
on Feb 19, 2015 at 10:08:19 pm

I too, just scanned the tutorial. If Paul didn't already hit on what the issue was, I would try lowering the numbers in the expressions I saw (wiggle, random, etc). Those numbers are basically the ranges for how often and how much movement you will get. The lower the numbers, the more toned down the effect will be.

If you're going to be doing a lot of these types of effects, I would recommend the Twitch plugin. It gives you a lot of control and takes out the need for multiple expressions and effects.

Return to posts index

Yuri Tsyshevsky
on Feb 19, 2015 at 10:32:33 pm

[Paul Esteves] "I didn't watch the whole tutorial from start to finish, but jumped around to see what he did. It seems to me like you want to animate your "slider control" to stay on for a longer time if you want the glitch to stay on the screen for longer? That slider control controls when the you see the glitch effect and when you don't."

Unfortunately, that's not the case.
The slider affects the probability of 'glitchy blinks'.
Technically if i'll set that slider to 1, it will increase the duration of the effect itself. Mine is set to 9 and it gives me short blink each 1-1.5s.
But i'm talking about the the blinks themselves, they just going extremely fast for some reason. The duration of the blinks is the same either i have the slider at 1 or 9.

Btw i rendered my intro, maybe it'll help you to understand the problem i have:

(these blinks are happen way faster then it the tutorial video
P.S disregard few last secs. - i used Twitch there for another purpose)

Return to posts index

Paul Esteves
on Feb 20, 2015 at 8:19:54 am

I'm definitely not a pro at expressions, however, from what I can understand, the "random" effect 'refreshes' every frame. So, because your footage is 60fps it is changing the glitch effect every frame, which is double the speed of the tutorial. So, you'd have to input hold frames on that random effect to get each frame to hold for longer.

Maybe this can help: http://www.motionscript.com/mastering-expressions/random-1.html

If you have Twitch, is there a reason you aren't using that to cause the first glitch?

Return to posts index

Paul Esteves
on Feb 20, 2015 at 8:41:00 am

I'm definitely not a pro at expressions, however, from what I can understand, the "random" effect 'refreshes' every frame. So, because your footage is 60fps it is changing the glitch effect every frame, which is double the speed of the tutorial. So, you'd have to input hold frames on that random effect to get each frame to hold for longer.

Maybe this can help: http://www.motionscript.com/mastering-expressions/random-1.html

If you have Twitch, is there a reason you aren't using that to cause the first glitch?

I just tried to make that same glitch effect. On the shape layer that you create that moves up and down. Those random expressions are the problem. If you keyframe the size and position for a 1 second, the glitch effect holds for one second. But because it is random it changes every second. The opacity too. I don't know enough about expressions to know how to change that, but I've figured out that that is the problem.

Return to posts index

Yuri Tsyshevsky
on Feb 20, 2015 at 10:47:59 pm

Well, thank you anyway.
Basically that's just the way i like it - i preserved more noisy Twitch glitch for the "outro" of my short intro.

I guess i'll try to that 'hold time' expression, maybe it'll work eventually. Either i'll switch to Twitch.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]