ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Mac spec

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam BulleyMac spec
by on Feb 19, 2015 at 10:47:37 am

Hey folks,

I'm currently working on a 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iMac with 16GB 1067 MHz DDR3 ram. I've recently been doing tons of video projects and have found that the times needed for rendering and generally working in AE is making deadlines difficult to meet. I'm very tempted to upgrade to a Mac Pro setup and was hoping people may be able to give some advice. Pretty much all the work I do is in Premiere and After Effects.

I've been looking at the 6-core, with the idea of upgrading RAM to 64GB, or alternatively investing in the 8-core (although I'd probably not have funds to max out the RAM). Would I see a marked improvement over my current setup with either of these options? Also, what do people think is the best way forward for me?

Thanks for all help

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Mac spec
by on Feb 19, 2015 at 7:19:23 pm

If you decision is between 6 cores and maximum RAM or 8 cores and less RAM, I'd go for the former. RAM is great for After Effects, since it allows more things to be kept in the RAM cache and not need to be re-rendered or read from the disk cache.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects product manager and curmudgeon
After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

Adam BulleyRe: Mac spec
by on Feb 19, 2015 at 7:54:18 pm

Hi Todd, thanks very much for the feedback. Would you expect me to notice a big difference in previewing and rendering over my current iMac setup with the 6-core (64GB)?

Return to posts index

Adam BulleyRe: Mac spec
by on Mar 20, 2015 at 11:50:03 am

Hi Todd

Just to say that I got the 6-core Mac Pro with 64GB RAM. On the whole very impressed! I'm now getting render times around 10 times faster than what I was having before!

The main thing I'm still disappointed with is the times associated with using the Magic Bullet plugins. Looking for a workaround at the moment to try and improve render times even further.

Thanks for your help

Return to posts index

David MasonRe: Mac spec
by on May 23, 2016 at 8:41:30 pm

Hi Adam,

I believe I have a similar machine to the one you have. I've been having trouble getting my settings dialed in to really make After Effects fly but I am not having much luck. Any suggestions or recommendations on settings?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved