ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Adjustment layers and opacity

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Spencer TycksenAdjustment layers and opacity
by on Feb 18, 2015 at 6:26:40 pm

Is there a way to use an adjustment layer to affect the opacity of the layers beneath it without precomposing? I have dozens of layers I want to change the opacity on. When I put an adjustment layer in and keyframe the opacity from 100% to 0%, nothing happens. What am I doing wrong?

Return to posts index

Tim BentleyRe: Adjustment layers and opacity
by on Feb 18, 2015 at 9:05:31 pm

Effects -> Transform, then change the opacity. It doesn't change the opacity of each layer individually though, so you won't be able to see through a layer to a previously hidden layer behind it.
It's hard to imagine why you'd want to do it like this though - why can't you pre-comp or just change them individually, as both would be much more flexible? You might need to explain more about the project to get a clear answer.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Adjustment layers and opacity
by on Feb 19, 2015 at 12:35:49 am

An adjustment layer takes the total composite of every layer below it and presents it as a single layer which you may further process. It does not apply the effects or properties of the adjustment layer individually to every layer below.

When you adjust the opacity of an empty adjustment layer, you are effectively copying every layer below the adjustment layer, precomping it, and adjusting the opacity of the precomp. With normal blending, this will have no change on the image.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Dave BrownRe: Adjustment layers and opacity
by on Feb 20, 2015 at 6:17:14 pm

Hello, i've been reading through your posts concerning opacity and adjustment layers.. maybe you guys can help me. I've been working off of some template lower thirds.. customizing my colors and text... In AE the lower third has different degrees of opacity in the "shape boxes" that scroll out before text appears... but upon rendering and down stream keying (luma key) the opacity is lost and the different gradations of color got to greyscale, whereas solid color keep their color... ?? I so badly want the lower third to have some see through qualities. it would look much better. Any suggestions? Here is an example
jump to 13:10

i'm wondering if there is easier software for generating lower thirds?

thanks for any suggestion you can offer!

Return to posts index

Tim BentleyRe: Adjustment layers and opacity
by on Feb 20, 2015 at 9:51:49 pm

It sounds like you're rendering out the titles and then adding them to the video. If that's the case you need to render out to a format which supports alpha channels, then you won't need to do any keying (|you shouldn't anyway). In any case it's an odd workflow, it would be much simpler to add the lower thirds to the video in AE, or import the AE project into premiere and export from there.

Return to posts index

Dave BrownRe: Adjustment layers and opacity
by on Feb 21, 2015 at 12:36:44 am

Ok, interesting, did i mention that this is live? I have been rendering with premultiplied alpha channel. I'm using a Roland V-40HD and it's DSK facility. But what your saying makes sense, i just need to overlay a stream on top of the other. Sounds like the keying is throwing off the color.

Thanks very much for the (probably very obvious) advice. i'm new to this. I have some experimenting to do before i report back

Thanks a million

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved