ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Center of Radial Wipe effect is shifts in precompose with different resolution.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dmitry Gavriliuk
Center of Radial Wipe effect is shifts in precompose with different resolution.
on Feb 16, 2015 at 6:34:10 pm

Hello guys. Need some help.
I created a composition 1920x1080 and apply the Radial Wipe effect to the circle shape. Then I put this composition into another one with 3840x2160 resolution and scale up to 200% (to fit the size). I just need a copy of original composition in 4k resolution.
After resizing the image appears to be stretched/blured and I select 'continuously rasterize' checkbox. After this steps the center of Radial Wipe effect moved to a different location.
I think it's because Radial Wipe center (in 1920x1080 composition) located in 960.0, 540.0 and 4k composition uses this coordinates too (it is not a center of 4k composition)
Please, check the attached screenshots.
Is it possible to fix this issue?
Thanks!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Center of Radial Wipe effect is shifts in precompose with different resolution.
on Feb 16, 2015 at 10:39:17 pm

You probably won't like the most obvious solution to this -- do all the animation in 4K, and nest it in an HD comp to make HD if you need HD.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Dmitry Gavriliuk
Re: Center of Radial Wipe effect is shifts in precompose with different resolution.
on Feb 17, 2015 at 6:42:59 pm

Making a 4K animation is pointless having all footage in vector format.
If I nest 4K comp in an HD composition the center of Radial Wipe effect still shifted to a different position.

Actually I need to create a pie chart controlled by expressions. I did it and it works. But it doesn't look as it should when I nest HD composition into 4K composition.

If anyone have any clue it would be great.

I attached a simple .aep file as an example.
8571_radialwipeeffecttrouble.aep.zip

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 17, 2015 at 9:14:14 pm

You would also scale the 4K comp to fit the HD composition; sorry, but I thought that went without saying.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Dmitry Gavriliuk
on Feb 17, 2015 at 11:21:58 pm

Yes, Dave, I can. But it's not solve the issue described in the first message.
Thanks.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 18, 2015 at 12:22:13 am

As I understand it, you were scaling up the HD comp to fit in the 4K comp, which gives bad-looking results. Scaling down the work, done in a 4K comp, to fit in an HD comp will look much better.

Now, that may not be the problem, but that's how I read it.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Dmitry Gavriliuk
on Feb 18, 2015 at 12:51:27 am
Last Edited By Dmitry Gavriliuk on Feb 18, 2015 at 12:54:07 am

Nope. Scaled comp gives a good-looking result because it is in a vector format and I selected a 'Continuously Rasterize' checkbox:

The question is about shifted (moved) the center of the Radial Wipe effect applied on a shape layer in an HD comp and then this HD comp is nested into 4K comp.

As in this screenshot:

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Feb 18, 2015 at 12:57:15 am

[Dmitry Gavriliuk] "Scaled comp gives a good-looking result because it is in a vector format and I selected a 'Continuously Rasterize' checkbox:"

For comps, the switch does not mean "Continuously Rasterize." It means "Collapse Transformations."

I keep meaning to write a proper article on this topic, because it's confusing... but perhaps you could give the reference a read and come back with questions?

https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/using/precomposing-nesting-pre-render...

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Krista van der Wilk
on Apr 14, 2015 at 10:12:51 am
Last Edited By Krista van der Wilk on Apr 14, 2015 at 10:13:11 am

Did you by any chance find a solution for this ? I'm having the same problem at the moment, my radial wipe centre stays in one position ( the position where the effect is placed IN the precomp ) when moving the precomp around.

Return to posts index

Cassius Marques
on Apr 14, 2015 at 2:14:23 pm

You just have to link it to where you want it to be referenced by... for example, create an expression at the "wipe center" property and paste: comp("Main comp").layer("Pre comp").position

...assuming your effect is within a layer inside "Pre comp" and so on.

Return to posts index

Michal Poniedzielski
on Jan 16, 2016 at 9:25:37 pm

Guys, did You come up with something maybe? I have the same problem, and solution by Cassius Marques is not working when You start moving the camera in Main composition.

The solution by Dave does not give us flexibility of working on vector layers.

In my situation this problem lays in wipe transition effect not having the "sense of 3D" in it. You can only set the wipe center in 2D (X, Y), and when you add a camera, and want to move it around the shape layer containing this wipe effect - all gets messy.

What we are looking for with Dimitry I suppose, is an expression or script that will connect wipe transition center with position of the layer AND with position of the camera. Meaning: wipe center position should somehow KNOW, that the layer it is attached to may not be moving by itself, but the camera movement around it "makes it move" in the frame.

I have accidentaly found a "sort of" solution - it's Trapcode's 3D Stroke effect, which has the "sense of 3D space" in it, and is dependant to the camera. And it's stroke, and I'm using this radial wipe transition on a stroke of a shape layer. So for me - it's kinda solution. But definitely it doesn't stand for a expression which I mentioned.

Please - if somebody knows what I'm talking about (it's a bit hard to explain in "plain and simple" way) and knows the magic of ae script - bless us with the code. :)

Creative Creature :)

Return to posts index

Michal Poniedzielski
on Jan 16, 2016 at 10:08:08 pm

Ahhh, found that:
https://forums.creativecow.net/thread/2/1027199

toComp(value);
That short expression solves the problem for me in 98%

You paste it to "wipe center" property. Then you have to fiddle a bit with position of shape layer.

Below are my shape layer properties, regarding position.
(note 1: shape layer is marked as 3D layer)
(note 2: my comp is vertical - 1080x1920. For more conventional horizontal approach, you'l have to change values of X and Y)

Contents > Eclipse >
  • Eclipse Path > Position = 0,0
  • Transform: Eclipse > Anchor Point: 0,0
  • Transform: Eclipse > Position: 540,960

Effects > Radial Wipe >
  • Wipe Center: toComp(value)

Transform >
  • Anchor Point: 0,0,0
  • Position: 0,0,0

Camera position: 540,960,-2000

After all that - I see my shape layer (with a radial wipe effect applied) in the center of the composition. And when I move the camera - the effect's wipe center STAYS within center of the shape layer, as I wanted :)

Kudos & thanks to: Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Tom van Heteren
on Jun 13, 2016 at 7:55:21 pm

ALT + click on the clock button.

Return to posts index

Joe Clay
on Jun 13, 2016 at 10:00:57 pm

You answered your own question. Anything with a center point like that, that is collapsed will be translated incorrectly in a different sized comp. You can either use the expression, animate it differently (that would be my preference), use Dave's suggestion, or you can precomp just the radial wipe with a white shape or solid in a larger size comp without collapsing the transformations and use it as a track matte.

For pie charts, I find it's much better to do it without radial wipe. Here's a tutorial on a way to make them with simple stroked circles.

http://workbench.tv/tutorials/2016-03-04_PieCharts/

Joe Clay
Workbench.tv

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]