ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Converting 30 fps to 24 fps

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ali QuintanaConverting 30 fps to 24 fps
by on Feb 15, 2015 at 7:48:15 am

What is the best way to Convert 30 fps to 24 fps

I have Blackmagic footage shot at 30 frames and 180 shutter angle

It was supposed to be shot at 24, somehow the settings were forgotten to be changed to 24.

Will it make sense to convert and will it make a difference?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Converting 30 fps to 24 fps
by on Feb 16, 2015 at 5:20:01 pm

I'll assume you REALLY mean that the frame rates under discussion are 29.97 and 23.976... not 30 & 24.

If the rest of the footage is 23.976, it will make a very great difference indeed if this footage is 29.97.

If the image SPEED is not an issue and there is no lip-sync sound, you can CONFORM the frame rate in AE... the process changes the frame rate from 29.97 to 23.976. Conforming makes the clip a little bit longer in duration. Render the footage in a 23.976 comp.

But if there IS lip-sync sound or if the speed of the image IS an issue, I would use Twixtor for the frame rate CONVERSION. A conversion preserves the duration of a clip while changing the frame rate. You can get it for editing applications as well as AE.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Ali QuintanaRe: Converting 30 fps to 24 fps
by on Feb 16, 2015 at 6:01:31 pm

OK, the real frame rate is:

Filmed at 30 (BMCC) and as you say I need 23.976

Yes I need to preserve the speed...

Will twixtor still work, and are there down sides???

I know that VideoCoPilot has a preset for AE as well...

Just want to find the best conversion.

Return to posts index

by on Feb 16, 2015 at 6:11:23 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Feb 16, 2015 at 10:57:33 pm

In software, Twixtor is the best.

The best of all is to take the footage to a production house to do a frame rate conversion using hardware like a Terranex box.

Just make sure you have confirmed the precise frame rates at which you are editing. DO NOT leave it up to guesswork or assumption -- know them for a FACT.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

by on Feb 17, 2015 at 4:07:14 am

Im sure its 30 frames, i shot at 30 frames, the camera was set to 30 frames progressive.

Is there a big difference between a production house and twixtor etc?

Return to posts index

Dino SanacoryRe: Converting 30 fps to 24 fps
by on Feb 17, 2015 at 2:03:16 pm

hoe much material are we talking about?

doing a hardware pass through something like a Terranex can get a lot done quickly.
If you have just a small amount of material, or a lot of time, I find I can get effectively the same results in Apple Compressor. Either process requires a knowledgeable operator. And if you are cutting in Avid, their timeline frame rate conversion tools should not be ignored.

This is a task that Twixtor should excel at but I find that very few people know how to effectively use this very finicky tool.

Return to posts index

by on Feb 20, 2015 at 3:28:55 am

Well its one commercial thats 1 min...

and another short doc at 3 mins.

Question, should this be done to the raw files or after editing so the final product?

Is there any loss..

I would prefer twixtor as I do not own the mentioned hardware. That is if it can do the same quality job as the hardware.

Maybe i can find some good tuts....

Return to posts index

by on Feb 20, 2015 at 10:47:42 pm

How good does it have to look?

If the answer is "Pretty darned good", go with Twixtor and look for tutorials on the re:vision efx web site.

If the answer is "As good as it possibly can look", you'll need hardware. And do the conversion BEFORE you edit... so you'll need to get rid of all the bad takes and such to cut down on the amount of footage converted.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]