ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Converting from Square Pixels to NTSC Widescreen (1.21)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Franklin LoganConverting from Square Pixels to NTSC Widescreen (1.21)
by on Feb 13, 2015 at 10:21:34 pm

Hey Guys,

Firstly, Ill apologize if this has been asked endlessly on here, but even after reading through the FAQ, I am still unsure of the best way to proceed with my issue. I have some animations I am creating in After Effects that I need to display on a projector, with the resolution being NTSC Widescreen; 720 x 480 with 1.21 PAR. Now all of my animation has been created at 720 x 480 with square pixels. Is there an efficient workflow for going from square pixels to 1.21? Will I need to manually resize and reposition everything? One suggestion I recieved from a colleague involved changing all the compositions to non square pixels and then stretching out just the background for the images and repositioning everything accordingly. While I could do it like that, it would be very time consuming, so I want to be sure I'm doing things as efficiently as possible.

I'm rendering my animation out of after effects and editing it all together in Premiere, if that makes any difference. In terms of plugins, Im using Particular, Lux, Element3D, and Optical Flares.

Return to posts index

David BaudRe: Converting from Square Pixels to NTSC Widescreen (1.21)
by on Feb 13, 2015 at 11:32:01 pm

If I understand correctly you composed everything in the 4:3 aspect ratio and now you would like to deliver to 16:9? If it is the case and you don't mind black bars left and right of your composition, then it is pretty straightforward. Otherwise if you want to fill your 16:9 frame, I am afraid you will have to rethink about your animation composition.

David Baud
Post & VFX
Denver - Paris

Return to posts index

Franklin LoganRe: Converting from Square Pixels to NTSC Widescreen (1.21)
by on Feb 14, 2015 at 3:10:23 am

Yeah, that is precisely right unfortunately. It seems that I might have to just go through and get to look right by hand. Not the end of the world, but it didnt hurt to make sure. Thank you for your advice!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved