ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Background banding when compressed in AE?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel De SilvaBackground banding when compressed in AE?
by on Feb 10, 2015 at 9:46:17 am

Hi Guys!

I have a small issue, I added a background layer (72 dpi - JPEG) into my AE file, (both 1920-1080 res). When I go to render it at H.264 I receive banding on my background? Although when I export it from .ps there is already a slight bit of banding in the first place which I don't want, but obviously not as much.

What's the easiest way to smooth it out?

The video is for web.

Thanks!

Dan.

Return to posts index

Tero AhlforsRe: Background banding when compressed in AE?
by on Feb 10, 2015 at 1:40:41 pm

[Daniel De Silva] "What's the easiest way to smooth it out?"

Add a bit of noise.

Return to posts index

Daniel De SilvaRe: Background banding when compressed in AE?
by on Feb 10, 2015 at 5:45:34 pm

I've tried adding noise but it only reduces it slightly, (.8 noise amount). I don't want to crank it up to far incase it begins to ruin the image.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Background banding when compressed in AE?
by on Feb 11, 2015 at 4:37:58 pm

That'll happen in H.264 -- it can't handle big, wide ramps in color that don't have much variation in them. Adding noise is about the best you can do. Or put more a a color range in your ramp.

How are you making the H.264? You're not using AE, I hope....

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

by on Feb 11, 2015 at 5:32:42 pm

Hi Dave,

I'm rendering out to H.264 through AE. I've managed to fix the banding problem! Most of it was due to the initial image.

I have another question and since you seem to know what you're talkingabout thought i'd post it to you!

How do I transcode a 1080p video to a 720p video?

Thanks,

Dan.

Return to posts index

by on Feb 11, 2015 at 5:45:44 pm

It's a bad idea to render to H.264 using AE. First, AE Can't do multipass encoding, which improves image quality. Render to a lossless codec, THEN use Adobe Media Encoder to make the H.264. You'll get much better results, plus you'll have a lossless file for archiving and encoding for different uses... which ain't too shabby.

Nest nest your 1920x1080 comp in a 1280x720 comp, scale the layer to fit the comp, and render. Boom. Done. A 720 file. Neat, huh?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

by on Feb 11, 2015 at 6:28:03 pm

Which codec would be best for loseless quality? thanks! yeah i figured the nesting and resizing down to 720p, but when i render it to h.264 the colour quality is very washed out, when i render it in quicktime with a h.264 codec the colour image is good? Is what you described above the best way around this?

Return to posts index

by on Feb 11, 2015 at 6:02:44 pm

Stay tuned for a reply. Apparently a typo in my original reply is some sort of bad word I don't know about, and it is now in quarantine. They'll release it soon, I hope.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

by on Feb 11, 2015 at 6:04:58 pm

ah ok great thanks. I tried re-sizing the comp to 720p which worked fine, but when i want to export it as a mp4 (presuming h.264 is best for web) it appears washed out :/ any advice?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]