ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Isn't the caps-lock solution stupid?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Zvi Twersky
Isn't the caps-lock solution stupid?
on Feb 9, 2015 at 9:20:54 am
Last Edited By Zvi Twersky on Feb 9, 2015 at 9:21:16 am

Most people have no reason to clog resources while rendering and have to close the preview window or activate the CAPS-LOCK while rendering. Isn't it time that AE make a button or setting that will disable preview window while rendering? I don't understand why they haven't done this yet - unless they have and I just don't know about it...?

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
Re: Isn't the caps-lock solution stupid?
on Feb 9, 2015 at 1:49:21 pm

Send in a feature request

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Jon Doughtie
on Feb 9, 2015 at 2:46:28 pm

I do not intend this to sound snarky - I really don't. But the caps lock is a button, and it does the job.

Return to posts index

Zvi Twersky
on Feb 9, 2015 at 2:48:30 pm

Snarky :-) I can't do other PC operations while my CAPS LOCK is on or else EVERYTHING WOULD LOOK LIKE THIS.

Return to posts index

Spencer Tweed
on Feb 10, 2015 at 12:55:21 am

Haha, I run into this all the time. I've probably made a million folders nAMED lIKE tHIS on our network. I definitely think there should be a button! (or option at least)

One thing you can do is hit ~ over the render queue and thus minimize the preview.

It's funny because when you watch folder render AE does actually do what you say - it doesn't render the preview. So it shouldn't be hard for the AE guys to make that an option in the preferences: "Disable viewer on render" or something like that.

- Spencer

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 9, 2015 at 4:56:46 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Feb 9, 2015 at 5:10:04 pm

Perhaps I'm just old and set in my ways. But when I render from AE, that is the only thing I am doing.

I don't surf the net. I don't go to other applications. I consider what I am doing in AE to be the overwhelmingly most important thing to do at that time, and I devote all my computer's resources to it.

I never have any problems.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Feb 9, 2015 at 3:40:53 pm

How about maximizing the Render Queue panel with the accent grave/tilde key before rendering?

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Feb 9, 2015 at 4:47:55 pm

I just have the render queue as a tab in the same panel as the preview window.

Kevin Camp
Art Director
KCPQ, KZJO & KRCW

Return to posts index

Zvi Twersky
on Feb 9, 2015 at 5:06:02 pm

Hey guys, there is no shortage of workarounds. You can use Media Encoder to render, you can close the preview panel, and many other things. I was just wondering... "why".

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 9, 2015 at 5:15:17 pm

Sorry, but AE users use AE in different ways. You got opinions instead of the facts you sought.

That'll happen in an application that still tries to be all things to all people. There are so many permutations of OS/Software/Hardware/Final Delivery with AE that's it's really tough to pin down a single way of doing anything.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Feb 9, 2015 at 6:39:36 pm

[Zvi Twersky] "Hey guys, there is no shortage of workarounds. You can use Media Encoder to render, you can close the preview panel, and many other things. I was just wondering... "why"."

I guess we could turn the question around -- with so many other ways to prevent viewer updates, why add another button or preference to the UI? Why take development and Q&A time away from other features or problems with no workaround? What about the potential for user confusion? Think of the "Ae doesn't look like it's rendering anymore" posts we'd start seeing.

Also -- and I'm curious here -- is the time difference measurable and significant on modern machines?

That said, John nailed it with the first response of the thread. If this is important to you, file a feature request [link]. These are all logged and tracked by a real live human being and discussed and evaluated by the development team.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Spencer Tweed
on Feb 10, 2015 at 12:56:28 am

Actually that's a pretty good idea!

- Spencer

Return to posts index

Matthew Wood
on Feb 10, 2015 at 12:09:50 am

Especially frustrating when switching to a different window, like a browser, and telling yourself not to forget to reset the caps lock after typing in whatever "you" are quickly typing in, then forgetting about the cap not being set, dragging the render time out even further.

-----------------------------------------------
Blood type O negative. I bleed zeros and ones

I dabble on the desktop

Shifted Leering, Any Perspective
Shifting Literally All Perceptions
SLAP

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 10, 2015 at 1:41:31 am

Folks, you know that you don't have to have the comp window open in AE when you render, right? Just click on the x for the comp window, right?

No open comp window... no frame-by-frame comp window updating as AE renders.

It's dead simple.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Jason Jantzen
on Feb 10, 2015 at 8:32:07 pm

Kevin Camp had the correct answer. This is seconded by Todd Kopriva's tweet a year and a half ago.

https://twitter.com/toddkopriva_ae/status/322825830898208769

Jason Jantzen
vimeo.com/jasonj

Return to posts index

Matthew Wood
on Feb 11, 2015 at 5:00:09 pm
Last Edited By Matthew Wood on Feb 11, 2015 at 5:06:40 pm

Yes, but the problem with this is that when the renderer is going you cannot open the comp window, if you want to check something out. Not even when it is paused, as far as I know. I would say that the caps lock is a better choice than closing comp window, right?.... right?... see, i can be condescending, too, didnt ya know? There's a new sheriff in town, and he's a flippin aspie, so firing back, with even more force, is first nature... :) Ive seen all your highlights, though. Your comments in, randomly 200 threads I have looked through were both always the most annoying and the funniest. At first just annoying, then came to expect it and so --- hahha.. too funny, anywho, more on that latere.. its just completely, utterly, complicated to explain to you, right now, as I don't have time to slow myself to the average man's pace, in order to do so...

Meanwhile,back at the lab:
That would actually be a tiny code addition and have huge upside, though, the ability to just do what is possible with the bgrenderer. Even if it was just configuration changes and such, nothi8ng on the timeline

This is a super simple fix just like the magnification levels not being able to go between 50 and 100 unless fit to 100. I odn't know of any other app that cannot scale between such number gaps. It is very strange, and clearly intended to frustrate me.

I dabble on the desktop

SLAP

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 11, 2015 at 5:23:44 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Feb 11, 2015 at 11:42:25 pm

[Matthew Wood]: "…the problem with this is that when the renderer is going you cannot open the comp window, if you want to check something out. Not even when it is paused, as far as I know. I would say that the caps lock is a better choice than closing comp window, right?.... right?..."

Nope. Sorry.

If you haven't previously gone over your comp with a fine-toothed comb to look for potential errors -- either by spot-checking (if you're adventurous) or by RAM Previewing -- you're going to have far too many "oops" moments at the worst time, which is when you're trying to get the stinkin' work rendered and in the can.

Cripes, it doesn't even have to be a full-resolution, best-quality RAM Preview, either. You can preview every other frame. You can preview at 50 or 25% scale. You can preview at half or quarter resolution. You can preview a tiny area of the comp using the Region of Interest. You can isolate a trouble section in the timeline and preview using the Work Area. You can use combinations of these techniques to meet your needs. There are all sorts of way to check stuff before render time.

Ain't no reason to use your render as your final error-checking time.

Oh, I guess you could get mesmerized by the comp window refreshing as it renders, and you might actually like stopping your render and fixing errors when you spot them, but I'm not a fan of that.

Okay, let me take that back: I used to be, but I wised up pretty quickly.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Zvi Twersky
on Feb 12, 2015 at 7:58:21 am
Last Edited By Zvi Twersky on Feb 12, 2015 at 7:59:59 am

[Dave LaRonde]:"Ain't no reason to use your render as your final error-checking time.

Oh, I guess you could get mesmerized by the comp window refreshing as it renders, and you might actually like stopping your render and fixing errors when you spot them, but I'm not a fan of that."

Exactly! When you render - and I mean export, not render preview, you should already be at least %99 sure that all is good-to-go and there is usually no reason for the preview window to run for the hours of export time (yes, even on strong machines, it can take hours to render large and heavy projects).

So although I don't mind that the user should have a choice if to keep the preview window running or not, it's just the CAPS LOCK that bothers me. There is NO other Adobe software or any company for that matter that makes you keep a keyboard function on (CAPS, NUM-LOCK, ScrLk, etc...) in order to perform any kind of task. It just doesn't make sense.

I, like many others, multitask all the time... I don't sit for 40 minutes to watch the preview screen while rendering... I use this time to reply to client emails, maybe edit in Premiere, or maybe I must write a birthday card for my wife because in 3 hours her birthday will be over and I'll be over my head in trouble... I can't have the caps-lock on for any of this. What's not to understand?

In reply to your answer about cluttering the interface with more buttons... that's silly. In the render que itself you can have a checkbox on or off to determine if the preview window should be running or not. You can even switch the CAPS LOCK with an option, say, click the F1 button to turn it on during render and F1 again to turn it off. Don't make me keep a keyboard function ON all the time.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 12, 2015 at 7:17:34 pm

Well, a couple of viable alternatives to the Caps Lock Conundrum have already been offered.

Walter Soyka wrote, "How about maximizing the Render Queue panel with the accent grave/tilde key before rendering?"

I mentioned just closing the comp window: no open comp window, no comp window updates. When done, reset your Custom Workspace; it only takes a second or two. That's the beauty of custom workspaces.

So you have options.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Matthew Wood
on Feb 13, 2015 at 1:00:51 pm

Man, I am not even 5% sure when I render, no joke. That is another huge barrier I have.I have 8gb ram, dual quad i7. But I, generally, use so many effects to color grade for keying, difference mattes, flippin alpha chokers, alpha cleaners, bla bla fn bla... Even on fast draft or with draft 3d

@Dave LaRonde,I skipped over your reply for my own sake of not getting distracted from my task, but I will read them, now. But, to the point you both make, my workflow is just beyond random, so far beyond. I have no--- since I really have no specific tuts, on the entirety of the internet, for the exact things that i am doing, at my skill/experience level, with a learning path that I took. , due to no one else ever having created the type of art I am doing, means that I havent been able to find ANY kind of routine. Chicken with my head cut off just trying to push a few more vids out that with more new stuff.

It is counter productive, for me to be doing the hands on, instead of just the design, but I am selfish and unwilling to pass any of the first few examples of it all, to anyone else, so I fumble forward

My last four final project renders had over 100 layers each... You think that is bad? I don't name them, either, heh heh... "If will take thousands of hours, dozens of minutes a day, by the end, will equal a big number", is what I say, to myself. This can be an irrational way to approach it, at times, but every release I can see a lot of improvement, from the previous, so it is not not working, kinda...

I dabble on the desktop

SLAP

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 13, 2015 at 5:54:46 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Feb 13, 2015 at 5:59:25 pm

[Matthew Wood] "my workflow is just beyond random, so far beyond. I have no--- since I really have no specific tuts, on the entirety of the internet, for the exact things that i am doing, at my skill/experience level, with a learning path that I took. , due to no one else ever having created the type of art I am doing, means that I havent been able to find ANY kind of routine. "

A designer who wants to USE After Effects, but lacks the patience to LEARN After Effects.... that, sir, is a true recipe for disaster, and that is no BS.

AE contains so many quirks, twists and turns that simply looking at random tutorials to accomplish a specific task will often result in failure or frustration. You've probably experienced both.

A thorough knowledge of AE Basics is ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL to AE success.

I'm going to give you a link. It leads to more links, complied by Mr. Todd Kopriva of Adobe, with tutorials for the AE Basics. Todd runs the After Effects division of Adobe. He endorses these lessons, found right here on the COW. Unless you suspect Mr. After Effects HIMSELF is out to hose aspiring AE practitioners, I would look at them.

Some things you will already know. Some things you won't, and they're almost always valuable to know. Some will make you think, "Wow, I didn't know AE could do THAT!"... and you will have discovered a new creative path for your own work. Don't worry if he's not using your version of AE -- 98% of the things in it are still good. The remaining 2% come from changes in expression language, refinements in features, buttons that have moved, etc.

Here's the link. Enjoy:
http://blogs.adobe.com/aftereffects/2012/02/after-effects-basics-tutorials-...

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Matthew Wood
on Feb 14, 2015 at 3:49:54 am
Last Edited By Matthew Wood on Feb 14, 2015 at 6:04:29 am

The thing is, I am a software developer, first and foremost. My desktop interface software, Splinter, has been number one rated on Earth, for three years straight, in April.

I definitely know what you are saying, and in most cases I would agree. But---well, but I dont NOT want to learn, at all, haha.. No, that was never my point. My point was that I do not want to learn the wrong things, dont want to waste time learning things that will in no way help me to accomplish the tasks. I have spent SO much time watching tuts, of all kinds. But it is like I get a tiny piece of something here and a little bit there.. The most informative were the Masters of Visual FX with Stu Maschwitz and friends. Gained a great deal of knowledge but wasnt able to see it all in practice so only went so far..

Im aspie, rememba? "Not wanting to learn" is inconceivable, to me, literally... And I can do anything that you pros can do, i just cannot do most as well, yet. But nor do I have to get as the design is where my focus

I dabble on the desktop

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 16, 2015 at 5:32:54 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Feb 16, 2015 at 6:28:13 pm

Ah, a developer. Then you'll appreciate this:

AE is 22-year-old software; okay, it's coming up on its 22nd birthday; it came out in 1993. The user interface is a hodge-podge of new features shoehorned into the existing design. Some of the code hasn't changed in all that time.

In other words, if Adobe were to do it all over again, AE would work, look and feel radically different than it does today. To fit hand-in-glove with 21st-century production techniques, 21st-century workflows and 21st-century media.

THAT'S why you have to learn the basics -- to learn the sometimes-nonsensical logic behind where all the cool features are hidden, the cobbed-together methodology to get things to work, and where all the gotchas rear their ugly heads.

Make more sense now?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Matthew Wood
on May 5, 2015 at 2:28:04 am

So, I just came across a kind of fix. I disabled the display output while rendering option within Media Encoder and now, without caps lock enabled, my AE is not rendering the output to the screen.

I dabble on the desktop

SLAP

Return to posts index

Matthew Wood
on May 5, 2015 at 7:59:51 am

never mind. Apparently, just a "glitch". I am a developer so I use that word loosely. A "bug" of sorts, apparently. The only variable changed since my last render was that option within Media Encoder. Happened once and now it isn't, caps required, again

I dabble on the desktop

SLAP

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
on May 5, 2015 at 8:19:37 am

I'm not clear on why you consider caps lock required when there've been at least three alternatives suggested.

I personally dock my render queue in the same area as the comp viewer, but I can see the benefit to using ` to maximize any other panel to hide the comp viewer. The ` key has the benefit of allowing you to show the comp viewer again during the render if you like.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

criis daw
on May 7, 2015 at 3:02:47 pm

Does pressing the caps lock really speed it up anyway ?

But as for media encoder , I haven't done any proper timed tests but it seems a whole lot slower at rendering to me. That said the quality is so much better.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]