ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Best settings for desktop i7?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gabriel MeonoBest settings for desktop i7?
by on Feb 7, 2015 at 9:55:38 pm
Last Edited By Gabriel Meono on Feb 7, 2015 at 10:03:58 pm

I installed After Effects CC 2014 on a computer with i74790k, Radeon 6850 and 8 GB of RAM.

The program runs smoothly but it makes Windows 8.1 a bit unresponsive, for example opening and closing folders take longer, also browsing files, opening the start menu, etc.

What are the best settings for decent editing and desktop stability?

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Best settings for desktop i7?
by on Feb 8, 2015 at 10:43:49 am

8 GB is not a lot of RAM for Ae. With this little RAM, things probably get a little sluggish because the system has to swap RAM.

In a low memory condition, the computer saves little chunks of used RAM to the hard drive, hoping they won't be needed right away, to free up the space in main memory for a more pressing need. When that virtual memory on the hard disk is requested, the computer has to swap something else out to hard disk to make space to restore the original memory from hard disk. RAM is very, very fast and hard drives are relatively slow, so this makes the system respond slowly.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Gabriel MeonoRe: Best settings for desktop i7?
by on Feb 8, 2015 at 3:21:11 pm

Thank you, I do reserve 3 GB of RAM to background applications. Still however the computer manages to get slow, will definitely buy another 8GB of RAM to make up for it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved