ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Controlling the Reference Comp Displayed in the Viewer

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jon Smith
Controlling the Reference Comp Displayed in the Viewer
on Jan 30, 2015 at 5:27:51 pm

I'm not sure how to explain what I'm trying to do so I'm just gonna illustrate an example.

Say you have a main comp with 2 instances of a precomp. Those two precomps are at two different times in the timeline. You then open a second viewer that is locked to show the main comp and arrange them side by side. Then you open the precomp so that now you have the precomp in one viewer and the main comp displayed in the second viewer. What is displayed in the main comp viewer seems linked to one instance of the precomp. Where you are in the timelines match up in both views. If you go into the other precomp the main comp will still be aligned with the other precomp so the views won't match. So what I'm asking is if there is anyway to control which instance of the precomp is linked to that viewer?

Sorry for the convoluted description. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Controlling the Reference Comp Displayed in the Viewer
on Jan 30, 2015 at 7:20:07 pm

I think that Ae looks at the first instance of a precomp in a comp when figuring out how to synchronize time of related items. If you like to change this, you'd need to change the layer order.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Jon Smith
on Jan 30, 2015 at 7:44:12 pm

Hmmm... Changing the order doesn't appear to effect it.

I was able to get it to change the relationship by deleting all instances of the precomp except for the one I wanted to be linked and then immediately undoing the delete action. That seems to revert everything back to the way it was except for that link. I thought maybe there was a better way but this will work I suppose. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jan 30, 2015 at 7:47:55 pm

Sorry, I just tried myself and I think I gave you a bum steer!

Does moving back and forth between comps by double-clicking on the precomp you want to drive the sync work better for you, instead of just click over on its timeline tab?

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Jon Smith
on Jan 30, 2015 at 8:54:08 pm

That doesn't work for me. Seems like once it determines which instance to link itself to it can't be changed until that instance is deleted from the timeline. It's not a biggie. Thanks for looking into it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]