ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

How can I make my text brighter that's nexted inside a 3d composition?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeremy McCloud
How can I make my text brighter that's nexted inside a 3d composition?
on Jan 27, 2015 at 9:41:45 pm

In my main composition I have some candles and a wall. I setup a light and made it flicker to simulate the candle light. I create a composition from the wall and make it 3d so that anything inside the wall composition, will appear to be illuminated from the candles.

Everything looks great except the text. I have the lyrics nested inside other compositions that are inside the wall composition. The text is created inside these mini-comps in 3d space as to be a part of the scene. The only problem I have is the text when I go all the way back to the main comp, they are so dimply lit. I like the look for the images, but the text needs to be brighter.

If I go inside the comps where the text is located, I can turn off and on the accept lights field, but it has no effect in the main comp. The text is already white so I can't make it any brighter there.

The video is nearly complete, I have until Friday to finish this up all I have to do is fix this text and I'm done. Any suggestions on how I can fix this, so that I can make the text brighter, without effecting the brightness of the rest of the scene or the placement of the text?

Return to posts index

chris brett
Re: How can I make my text brighter that's nexted inside a 3d composition?
on Jan 27, 2015 at 10:35:21 pm

Hi Jeremy

------- I dont exactly have the answer but I would say it is almost certainly a case of getting the combination of '3d layer' and 'collapse transformation' ( checked or unchecked ) in the right order.

Even though I understand the basic principles here sometimes I am really puzzled as to how this behaves in a comp but usually find a bit of perseverance gets me there in the end --

---- to me what you describe sounds typical of this kind of thing --

-------------------------- chris ---

Return to posts index

Paul Riccardi
Re: How can I make my text brighter that\'s nexted inside a 3d composition?
on Jan 27, 2015 at 11:23:46 pm

Sounds like you are continually rasterizing the text layer. When you are rasteriing the text and the pre comp...it will only enable the light from the main comp. all pre comp lights get voided... Try deselecting rasterize for that layer and see if that helps. Easy way to test it is (on a Mac) click on the composition window . Press shift+command+option+n. It opens a new comp window that's locked. Open your precomp and you can now see both comps...

Return to posts index

Jeremy McCloud
on Jan 28, 2015 at 4:03:45 pm

I'm not too familiar with this feature but I think I found what you were talking about. Is it the box in-between "shy" and "quality and sampling"? If I check it on all the way done to the text layer it does allow me to control if the text receives light, but other images got bigger and some of the effects I used look strange now, so I'm not too sure what's going on.

Don't think I'll have enough time to fix it, but I'll know next time to keep this feature in mind and research exactly what's happening.

Thank you for the tip!

Return to posts index

chris brett
on Jan 28, 2015 at 4:22:01 pm

Hi Jeremy

-- ref your last comment saying that other items had been adversely affected ........

....... this is what I was referring to before -- the basic logic seems fine but sometimes the results are not as easy to control as you might expect ....

You have to work out which to leave rasterised and which NOT to be rasterised -- think I have always got there in the end but its not too user friendly ....

Teds idea looks sound and should be fine if your are under time pressure

--------------------- all the best -------- chris

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Re: How can I make my text brighter that's nexted inside a 3d composition?
on Jan 28, 2015 at 11:42:45 am

I see this is as a final compositing pass job. I would render the whole thing uncompressed and then render a text only matte.Composite the final on top of itself using the text matte as alpha for the top layer and adjust Levels/Curves to get the desired text brightness.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]