ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Collected AE project will only connect to footage folder while on the desktop?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alethea Swanson
Collected AE project will only connect to footage folder while on the desktop?
on Jan 24, 2015 at 12:22:38 am

I've been working with some Mo-Graph artists recently that work remotely. Needless to say, we use Collected After Effects projects all the time.

There's an ongoing problem with people on both sides downloading zipped up collected projects and opening them on their computers only to find every piece of media is missing and needs to be relinked. However, the folder structure has been preserved and the (Footage) folder still contains all the media. We just have to relink file by file when this problem occurs.

Attempts at problem solving:

I've been double checking the collected projects that we send out by removing all possible links to media that would be anywhere other than in the ProjectName > (Footage) folder. I open up the After Effects project and all the media is intact as it should be. I also Right Click > Reveal in Finder to make sure the file path is leading to ProjectName > (Footage).

This means that before I zip up the file and send it out to a third party, the project is completely intact. The Report.txt file checks out and everything should be ready to go.

I have also tried creating RAR files rather than ZIPs but it does not seem to resolve the problem.

In the most recent issue I had, the Motion Graphics Artist let me know that when he attempted to open the project file from his external hard drive, it would not link to any media. However, when he opened it on his desktop, the media showed up in tact as a collected project should.

Am I the only person who's experienced this problem? Is there something going on in the background when we zip files that's causing this to happen?

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Collected AE project will only connect to footage folder while on the desktop?
on Jan 24, 2015 at 2:09:10 pm

This shouldn't be happening, and the ZIP file shouldn't have anything to do with it.

Are there any strange characters in the filenames or in the paths where they are unzipped?

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Alethea Swanson
Re: Collected AE project will only connect to footage folder while on the desktop?
on Jan 26, 2015 at 3:23:17 pm

I didn't consider that special characters could cause problems… We use underscores but that's it. Perhaps this is just a user error?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]