ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Output for widows media player for output to a tv monitor

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Roger BurtonOutput for widows media player for output to a tv monitor
by on Jan 23, 2015 at 4:03:40 pm

Hi chaps, I have a sequence in After Effects that I need to export for playback on a windows 7 machine plugged into a tv ... it seems that whatever composition settings I use in after effects (I have tried a dozen inc. some custom sizes) it doesn't work.

Either the video on the monitor displays with wide black bars at top and bottom or the video is stretched on the width so a circle is widened ... nothing seems to fill the tv screen and lets me have a nice round circle.

Looking at the tv settings I found 1024x768 ... I guess that makes it widescreen ?

Are there any 'preferences' in windows media player that adjust it's output.

It's getting very frustrating so thanks to anyone with some advice .... have good weekends

Roger

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Output for widows media player for output to a tv monitor
by on Jan 23, 2015 at 4:57:56 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Jan 23, 2015 at 7:21:10 pm

Is the TV HD or SD? 1024x768 would be SD PAL, but you could be futzing with an HD set, too. We don't know.

And you didn't say anything about the dimensions of the file you're trying to play back... or how you're playing it back, for that matter.

At this point it could be a mistake in AE or operator error when playing back.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Roger BurtonRe: Output for widows media player for output to a tv monitor
by on Jan 23, 2015 at 7:21:35 pm

Thanks Dave ...I think it will be sd but am not sure how to be sure, the original I can remake to any size comp that works output-wise ... Roger

Return to posts index

by on Jan 23, 2015 at 7:52:28 pm

If you don't know the specifications of the file that you're making, you're rolling the dice that you're making the right thing.

How lucky do you feel?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

by on Jan 23, 2015 at 9:16:46 pm

Forgive me Dave, what do you mean by "specifications" please ? I have made a project and the comp is d1 dv pal widescreen, I rendered it out and, as per my original post, it didn't work when played out from the windows machine to a widescreen tv, there were black bars top and bottom and the footage was stretched on the horizontal.

I then made several new compositions as tests using various of after effects comp settings (different sizes and pixel aspect ratios) hoping that one would do the job and I could then use those same settings for the real project ... none of my tests has worked and I'm attempting to narrow down the problem areas, my main problem is I don't know how windows media player treats video (or, indeed, if it does anything to it) before sending it to the tv.

Best Roger

Return to posts index

by on Jan 23, 2015 at 10:25:44 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Jan 23, 2015 at 10:41:41 pm

I would first get my ducks in a row. I would find out for sure the display resolution for the monitor. Then I'd work backwards and make an appropriately-sized animation.

I wouldn't work in that comp preset you chose. I'd work in a 16x9 square-pixel comp. It sounds as if Windows media Player doesn't know about non-square pixels, which wouldn't surprise me.

Ah, but what SIZE 16x9, square pixel comp should you make? Unknown at this point.

I have to tell you, I know NOTHING about Windows media player. I don't even know if it's capable of playing back to a monitor... apparently it is, but does it play it back properly? Unknown.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

by on Jan 24, 2015 at 7:44:18 am

Excellent Dave, thank you, as ever, for taking the time to help me get my head around this ... I will follow your advice. Typically the client doesn't understand why I can't get it right and, of course, I don't get paid for 'messing about' ... hey ho ... enjoy the weekend.

Roger

Return to posts index

by on Jan 29, 2015 at 10:53:14 am

In case anyone comes across this thread here's how I solved it ... maybe not perfect but the tv monitor is 'filled' and the proportions are correct on output.

I made an HDTV 1080 25 comp and nested it into a 1024 x 768 sq pixel comp. for final output which was an H264 bitrate 30 ...

Best Roger

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]