ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Connect Layers to anchor point generated by Newton then apply a texture

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Green
Connect Layers to anchor point generated by Newton then apply a texture
on Jan 21, 2015 at 2:18:29 pm

I want to animate a childs tree swing swinging using Newton, then using the AEscripts Connect Layers script with the 'Rope' option to join them. I then want to apply a realistic rope texture to it instead of just a normal stroke line.

I don't think this is going to be possible using Layer Styles and I think I might run into problems if I try and use the Puppet Tool to try and apply the texture to the it and make it follow the movement accurately.

Any other ideas would be a great help.

Thank you.

Splurj Creative, Video Production, Motion Graphics & Animation in Manchester UK.

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: Connect Layers to anchor point generated by Newton then apply a texture
on Jan 22, 2015 at 3:34:57 pm

What kind of animation are we talking about? If the rope isn't going to bend, but is just going to be a fairly straight line, this should be pretty easy to do with the puppet pin tool. Just tie a pin to the swing layer's position with expressions.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Jason Jantzen
on Jan 22, 2015 at 7:10:19 pm

I just used Puppet Pins and animated the swing with some Newton chains (squares attached with joints and the bottom one had a spring joint I think just for fun).

Or like Michael says, you could simply use some expressions to make it swing about. I like to use the animation tools in the DUIK script, which are free, to create a quick IK chain, then animate the bottom null (connected to the pin, or "bone" with DUIK).

Jason Jantzen
vimeo.com/jasonj

Return to posts index

Scott Green
on Mar 3, 2015 at 1:39:09 pm

Does anybody know how to move the anchor point of a joint in newton?
I don't want my anchor point centered I want it placed more near the top of the object?

Splurj Creative, Video Production, Motion Graphics & Animation in Manchester UK.

Return to posts index

Jason Jantzen
on Mar 3, 2015 at 6:18:58 pm

The shortcut is Y. It's the same shortcut for the pan behind tool which consequently is how you move any layer's anchor point outside of Newton.

Jason Jantzen
vimeo.com/jasonj

Return to posts index

Scott Green
on Mar 4, 2015 at 12:54:19 pm

That's the one key I didn't think of, thanks Jason :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]