ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Automatic Keyframes from Audio source?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeremy McCloudAutomatic Keyframes from Audio source?
by on Jan 20, 2015 at 10:58:02 pm

I know that when you right click on an audio file you can select "convert audio to key-frames" I'd then link something to the newly generated layer for the left, right or both channels.

I'm testing out different sounds that I want to animate, using the key frame data, but every time I replace the audio, I have to generate new key frames and re link everything all over again.

So what I want to know, is if there is a way, perhaps I can have the audio inside a comp, replace the audio, and the key frames automatically update so I don't have to repeat the steps over and over.

I was looking if perhaps this could be done with the audio spectrum effect as it updates automatically, but I'm not sure what field, if any, to create a link from.

How can this be done?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Automatic Keyframes from Audio source?
by on Jan 21, 2015 at 4:41:24 pm

Nope. There is no effect for AE that automatically generates and updates keyframes from an audio file.

It makes sense, too -- for example, Trapcodde's SoundKeys plugin lets you tweak the frequency range so you can animate just the basds, the highs, etc. You wouldn't want it to do that automatically.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jeremy McCloudRe: Automatic Keyframes from Audio source?
by on Jan 21, 2015 at 5:25:43 pm

It would be a great benefit in my case, I think also for those creating templates. Having control over the frequencies is nice, but not always needed. Even with the audio spectrum effect, it seems that the data is there already, since you don't have to generate key frames automatically. You update the audio and it updates automatically. It still reacts to the audio and gives you control of the frequencies being displayed which is why I was hoping there would be a way to pull the data from it.

Is there a plugin perhaps that will generate a value automatically I can simply link to or a script that could give me this functionality?

Return to posts index

by on Jan 21, 2015 at 5:42:17 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Jan 21, 2015 at 5:44:41 pm

I still have a pained look on my face over the prospect. Who knows what kind of audio would be used? Who knows if it's overmodulated or if the levels are too low... both of which would mess up the best of intentions. Who knows where that audio's been?

However, a frequent contributor to this forum has devised scripts for his personal use which he has come to understand may find wider and more profiatble application.

Oh, Mr. Soyka.....

Good Sir, do you know of a script that can undo and then re-apply AE's Convert Audio To Keyframes command on selected layers with audio?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Jeremy McCloudRe: Automatic Keyframes from Audio source?
by on Jan 21, 2015 at 6:27:54 pm

Thank you for your help Dave. I think a plugin or script would make things easier for me.

Return to posts index

by on Jan 21, 2015 at 7:58:16 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Jan 21, 2015 at 7:58:37 pm

Don't thank me yet. Now you wait for a reply.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]