ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Visually matching position in different layers

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Roberto EtcheverryVisually matching position in different layers
by on Jan 20, 2015 at 7:23:50 pm

Greetings from Venezuela.

I'm currently working on a pseudo-timelapse of a building construction, the way we do it is that a base is placed somewhere where it won't be moved (this particular time is on a building next to the one being built that is also owned by the same company), when once or twice a week we go with a camera at about the same hour of the day, position it on the base and shoot, then I put it all footage in after effects as layers, match them one by one since there are always minute differences in position (set a layer transparency to 50%, move, rotate and scale it as needed until it matches the previous layer, set it back to 100%, repeat with next layer), then animate with masks.

Basically my question is whether anyone else here has done something like that, and any tips you might have, specially when it comes to the matching layers (this one has been in construction for little over a year and have almost 100 layers to match), and anything else anyone might know that could help me speed up the process and/or improve the end result.

Thanks in advance.. :)

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Visually matching position in different layers
by on Jan 22, 2015 at 3:38:57 pm

I believe Photoshop has a batch feature that would align your images with each other and leave them as layers in Photoshop. You could then import that PSD into AE.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved