ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

how to export pure black from AE?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joseph Lewishow to export pure black from AE?
by on Jan 20, 2015 at 11:42:44 am

How do I export pure black from AE using h264 codec and be able watch the same superblack via Youtube or VLC player?

This is what I do... I create a new comp, add a solid with black and export using Media Encoder. The format I use is h264 (Match Source, High bitrate).

When I watch my clip via Windows Media Player, it shows pure black because I believe it shows the full range (0-255).

When I open the same file using VLC player, MX Player on my android phone (via table using the same player too) or upload the video to youtube, the black is a bit of greyish. I believe this is the correct behaviour because when I use h264 codec, it expects pure black to be on 16 and whites at 235?

This is what I tried so far...
- changing project colorspace to sRGB 1966 and other options like HDTV rec 709 (16-235)
- playing around with color profile converter
- levels
- changing depths from 8 to 16 bits

I can achieve pure black on my PC via VLC player by changing dynamic range from 16-235 to 0-255 in the NVidia settings. The problem that if I distribute my video file to end users, they won't see pure blacks if they watch it via VLC... the same problem would remain if I upload it to youtube.

Can someone tell me what steps I should follow in order to generate 1 second clip with superblack background using AE and watch the same pure black via VLC, youtube (h264 codec). It would really make my day and I could finally sleep well!

Thank you in advance

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: how to export pure black from AE?
by on Jan 20, 2015 at 4:33:34 pm

Sadly, you cannot fix this problem on the source side. There is no way for you to compensate for a user with a misconfigured player or graphics driver or display.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Chris WrightRe: how to export pure black from AE?
by on Jan 20, 2015 at 6:51:25 pm

walter is right about misconfigured players outputing 0-255 or 16-235, but you can try burning in the color management with AE's effect->utility-color profile converter. try rec.0-255 and 16-235 and see if it breaks in other computers. As default, some players do setup a certain way so all you can can hope for is get the greatest group of default setups to be compatible. Besides, most players don't support color management anyway.

Return to posts index

Joseph LewisRe: how to export pure black from AE?
by on Jan 20, 2015 at 9:34:07 pm

I believe I'm preparing the source wrongly in After Effects...

Here is what I did today. I added a solid black in Davinci Resolve, in the output setting set video/data levels to 4-1019, picked quick time wrapper and rendered a few seconds of it as I result I had file. Then I dragged/dropped that file to Media Encoder, picked h264 match source/bitrate, converted and volia - VLC played everything with true blacks. Uploaded to Youtube, everything super black. All players show blacks as I expect.

Like I mentioned in my initial post I cannot achieve the same effect with After Effects. I tested many things in AE and nothing worked for me but I'm ready to go through that again, maybe I missed something.

I uploaded rendered files: (rendered via AE, just created new comp, added solid black, dragged and dropped to media encoder; no color management, levels or embed color profile as it didn't work for me...)

black.aep (my simple AE file) (rendered via Davinci Resolve, set video/data levels to 4-1019) (dragged/dropped to media encoder. This file shows superblacks across all players I tried)

PS how do I exactly set video/data levels in AE like I did in Davinci resolve...?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved