ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

No more "Live Photoshop 3D" In After Effects CC?!

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lindsay SimpsonNo more "Live Photoshop 3D" In After Effects CC?!
by on Jan 19, 2015 at 6:08:23 pm

I am working with a technique I learned a few versions ago (CS4) to build 3D text and objects in Photoshop and import into After Effects for animation. I have come across various other resources stating that this feature became obsolete with the release of AE CS6.

Given all of my failed attempts to import 3D text, the latter must be true, and "Live Photoshop 3D" is no longer supported in 2014 CC. Can someone confirm that this is the case? Any alternate suggestions for achieving this without an additional plug-in?

I am particularly interested in extruded text making the use of Illustrator a cumbersome process.

Thanks for any pointers or suggestions you might have.

Return to posts index

Steve BrameRe: No more "Live Photoshop 3D" In After Effects CC?!
by on Jan 19, 2015 at 6:31:23 pm

You are correct. They abandoned it in favor of the new Cinema 4D functionality.

Asus P6X58D Premium * Core i7 950 * 24GB RAM * nVidia GeForce GTX 770 * Windows 7 Premium 64bit * System Drive - WD Caviar Black 500GB * 2nd Drive(Pagefile, Previews) - WD Velociraptor 10K drive 600GB * Media Drive - 2TB RAID0 (4 - WD Caviar Black 500GB drive) * Matrox MX02 Mini * Adobe CC * QuickTime 7.7.5
"98% of all computer issues can be solved by simply pressing 'F1'."
Steve Brame
creative illusions Productions

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: No more "Live Photoshop 3D" In After Effects CC?!
by on Jan 19, 2015 at 6:35:20 pm

Live Photoshop 3D is no longer supported, confirmed.

AE does have it's own 3D engine now, that can use the graphics card(provided your's is supported) or the CPU(Very slow). Create your comp and hit the advanced tab(or press cntl + K to access comp settings). change the renderer from Classic 3D to Ray Traced 3D. You can lower the quality to by pressing "options", this can make it work faster, raise quality before rendering. Create your text, make it 3d and press AA to get to the geometry settings. \

Also if you have CC, you should have Cinema4d Lite. You can easily create some extruded text with that...check out the tutorials, you can even use AE cameras with C4d project.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Lindsay SimpsonRe: No more "Live Photoshop 3D" In After Effects CC?!
by on Jan 19, 2015 at 6:52:32 pm

Thanks for the confirmation. I appreciate it. Time to learn some new tricks.

Take care.

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: No more "Live Photoshop 3D" In After Effects CC?!
by on Jan 22, 2015 at 3:27:43 pm

I wouldn't suggest learning the ray-traced 3d trick since Adobe isn't putting any more development in it and considers it obsolete. I would, however, suggest you put a ton of time into learning Cinema 4D. Adobe is putting a heck of a lot of resources towards making it work more seamlessly with After Effects. Some good resources here:

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved