ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Quicktime Animation to H.264 (Driving me crazy)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan Khan
Quicktime Animation to H.264 (Driving me crazy)
on Jan 19, 2015 at 11:37:07 am

Hello Guys,

I really need some advice on how to get rid of this ugly color banding. I made some broadcast graphics and I rendered them out in Quicktime (Animation), now I need to convert it into H.264, problem is when I do so, it gives me some serious banding (which wasn't there in the QT Animation format).

Is it because H.264 is 8bit ? How can I render in high quality (Mp4)

Please help

Thanks

Ryan

Return to posts index

Daniel Waldron
Re: Quicktime Animation to H.264 (Driving me crazy)
on Jan 19, 2015 at 1:04:21 pm

What software and settings are you using to create your H264s? Adobe sucks at making H264 MOVs, so if you're using Media Encoder or After Effects to convert the file, you'll want to select the H264 option (not Quicktime -> H264). This will make a far better looking file. Also, what's your bitrate? That will have a big effect on the video.

Return to posts index

Ryan Khan
on Jan 19, 2015 at 2:42:33 pm

Hey Daniel, thanks for your reply,

I'm using AE CS6, also when I rendered it in H.264, I used the H.264 option instead of QT>H.264.

Talking about the bit rate, I set it to 12, you think I should crank that up ?

Return to posts index

Daniel Waldron
on Jan 19, 2015 at 2:56:00 pm

Hmm... 12Mbps is definitely high enough. It should look very crisp and clean.

Maybe try another conversion program like Adobe Media Encoder or MPEG Streamclip (free download) and see if you get the same results. If your clip is long, just export a small section to test it.

Return to posts index

chris monaco
on Jan 19, 2015 at 5:39:32 pm

If you have gradients in your animation try adding a bit of noise, maybe 1%, then render it as either animation,apple pro res, avi, any uncompressed codec at 16bit or even 32 bit.

Then use mpeg stream clip or any software you like to compress it down to h264. Be careful with your data rate settings when compressing, try limiting the data rate to something like 5,000kb or 10,000 depending on what file size you want. The smaller the number the crappier the quality.

Chris Monaco
Motion Graphics and VFX Artist
http://www.chrismonaco.tv

Return to posts index

JP Pelc
on Jan 19, 2015 at 10:03:12 pm

If you could post some samples that would be of great help. Most likely you probably need to execute the noise trick as mentioned above. A little bit of noise on gradients should help reduce banding

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]