ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Camera tracking question

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Gaskin
Camera tracking question
on Jan 18, 2015 at 10:54:10 pm

Hi,

Wondering if any of you AE experts can give me some advice.

I am shooting a music video and want to create some cgi whereby 2 of my actors will be set on fire in the same scene. I have seen a tutorial showing how to achieve this with one person where camera tracking is used to track motion of the persons movements so the fire (added in post) will follow the movement of the actor.

Will this be more tricky to achieve with 2 actors? Or can you add multiple tracking points so AE can track independently?
Hope this makes sense. Any advice would be much appreciated?

Regards

Scott

Return to posts index

Daniel Waldron
Re: Camera tracking question
on Jan 19, 2015 at 2:01:09 am

Use the camera tracker if there is camera movement in your shot. This will keep your added effects in place when they are added.

You'll want to use motion tracking to track the movement of your actors. You can motion track as many things as you want in a shot. For example, if you need to track their arms waving around, track each separately and apply the data to clearly named null objects. Then you can link your fire effects to these nulls. This is a very basic explanation, but will hopefully get you going in the right direction. I would do some tests before the actual shoot, otherwise you may be kicking yourself in post over something that could've been easily adjusted.

Return to posts index

Scott Gaskin
on Jan 19, 2015 at 6:52:53 pm

Thanks for the message Daniel. Good idea to test out before

Scott

Return to posts index

chris monaco
on Jan 19, 2015 at 6:29:54 pm

To add on to what Daniel Waldron said, remember to look into tracking marks for your scene and actor.

Chris Monaco
Motion Graphics and VFX Artist
http://www.chrismonaco.tv

Return to posts index

Scott Gaskin
on Jan 19, 2015 at 6:49:51 pm

Thanks Chris,
Are you referring to looking out for tracking marks that may be on the actors clothes or purposely added to the actor?

Many thanks

Scott

Return to posts index

chris monaco
on Jan 19, 2015 at 7:39:39 pm

Yes, depending on what camera, camera settings, footage quality, try to avoid motion blur, green screen or not, etc... Getting a 3d camera track can turn out not so good or it can be straight forward.
In which case using a few tracking marks in the scene can improve a track. However you will have to them remove them in post.

I found this clip on youtube that kind of demonstrates that.

I am actually tracking a scene in boujou right now and I am running into issues with depth of field. The program has a problem getting great tracks with blurry footage, it turns into a more tedious process.

Chris Monaco
Motion Graphics and VFX Artist
http://www.chrismonaco.tv

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]