ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

lock layer position?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kendall Shaw
lock layer position?
on Jan 18, 2015 at 4:54:54 pm

I keep discovering that somewhere in the middle of video I have managed to bump the position of a layer, which makes me have to track down where it is and fix it.... Argghhh.

I have guides locked. I have disabled the arrow keys. But, I sometimes accidentally move a layer with my mouse. Sometimes means rarely. But, it only has to happen once to be a disaster.

All layers are meant to fit the composition size currently. Obviously, this won't always be the case. I can use fit to comp, once I find out where I have bumped the video. But, is there a way to lock the position so I can't accidentally bump it?

I am aware that I can avoid the problem by not bumping the layers. But, you can compare it to the idea of parachutes in airplanes. You can bring a parachute or learn not to have airplane accidents. But, the later choice is not prudent.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: lock layer position?
on Jan 18, 2015 at 5:39:22 pm

[Kendall Shaw] "All layers are meant to fit the composition size currently. Obviously, this won't always be the case. I can use fit to comp, once I find out where I have bumped the video. But, is there a way to lock the position so I can't accidentally bump it?"

You can lock the layer.

You can also use an expression for the position, so that it will override keyframes. For example, if your position is [960,540] and you want to lock that, alt+click the position stopwatch and enter the following expression:

[960,540]

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Kendall Shaw
Re: lock layer position?
on Jan 20, 2015 at 3:56:27 am

Thanks. Locking layers when not changing them seems like a good idea.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]