ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Minority Report - info panel

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
chris brettMinority Report - info panel
by on Jan 18, 2015 at 11:39:56 am

Anybody done one of those information panels as seen in Minority report and if so any tips on what to watch for please?

Looks pretty straightforward to me as long as the chromakey sections are shot well enough but have been wondering if there might be a problem in making sure the presenters hands stay in the right plane ?

I suspect it might not matter too much but have been thinking that we could shoot using clear glass - maybe with tracking markers -- to make sure the hands look convincing ...

Any tips on this one please ?

----------------------------------------chris --

Return to posts index

Simon UbsdellRe: Minority Report - info panel
by on Jan 18, 2015 at 8:12:39 pm

I've just done a test project of this kind for an arm-mounted HUD and I think I did everything wrong - luckily it was only a test!

You definitely want something very specific for the hands to point at - rather than just waving them around in a general direction and hoping for the best. Otherwise you have to design your interface around what the hands have done, which is really not ideal!

Your idea of using glass is a good one - and marking up the glass with the areas where you want "controls" for the hand to interact with would be the way to go. Having the hand stay on the right plane is less of a challenge than having it point to where the design elements are going to be. You'll have to roto out whatever you mark on the glass so best keep it discreet.

Simon Ubsdell

Return to posts index

chris brettRe: Minority Report - info panel
by on Jan 18, 2015 at 11:33:07 pm

Thanks Simon -- I will tread carefully then ! !

...........much appreciated --------------------chris --

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved