ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Advice for Time Estimates

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lucas AndersonAdvice for Time Estimates
by on Jan 16, 2015 at 8:08:03 pm

Hey guys. So, my design firm has gotten requests from clients to do some animated commercials along the lines of these:

Since I'm the only one in my company who has both After Effects and Illustrator experience, the job has fallen to me. I’ve done animated projects in the past, but nothing quite as complex as this. As such, I’m having a difficult time giving my boss an estimation of how long a project like this would take on my end.

So I was wondering if anybody could give me a ball park of how long it typically takes illustrating and animating projects like these (after storyboarding and script writing are finished). I understand that build time will vary by how complex the video is, but I have absolutely no reference at this point and any numbers would be helpful for me, and would give my boss a better perspective on time.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Advice for Time Estimates
by on Jan 19, 2015 at 10:48:55 am

These first two examples vary considerably in complexity, so even discussing a ballpark figure is hard. I think you will be looking at weeks of time, not days, if that helps.

The best way to estimate time for a long project is to break it down into a series of smaller and smaller tasks, until the tasks are small enough that you can provide a reasonable estimate for each one. Next, add up the sub-estimates.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Lucas AndersonRe: Advice for Time Estimates
by on Feb 4, 2015 at 5:59:41 pm

My project ended up being more like the last two, just with no voice over.

I reached out to a couple design studios, and got consistent answers of around 2-4 weeks for just the illustration and animation.

Has anyone worked on a project like the last two? If so, how long did it take?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved