ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Mocha tracking data on layer larger than 100%?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jean CareyMocha tracking data on layer larger than 100%?
by on Jan 16, 2015 at 7:30:52 am

I'm trying use tracking data from Mocha, but I need to scale the layer I'm applying it to larger than 100% so it won't get cut off as it moves. But this messes up the Mocha corner pin. Is there a simple solution to this? Thanks.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Mocha tracking data on layer larger than 100%?
by on Jan 16, 2015 at 4:49:11 pm

Yeah -- do the Mocha tracking job on the un-scaled layer, put the layers in a precomp, and scale the precomp. Everything stays together.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jean CareyRe: Mocha tracking data on layer larger than 100%?
by on Jan 16, 2015 at 5:32:16 pm

I don't understand how this is supposed to work. Scaling up the precomp will make everything inside it bigger, not just expand the edge.

Return to posts index

by on Jan 16, 2015 at 5:51:51 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Jan 16, 2015 at 5:56:14 pm

You've got a clip you're scaling up, right? What's the difference between scaling up that clip in your comp and scaling up a precomp containing that clip in your comp... other than the fact you can accomplish what you need to accomplish?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Jean CareyRe: Mocha tracking data on layer larger than 100%?
by on Jan 16, 2015 at 6:15:25 pm

I didn't explain what I'm trying to do clearly, sorry. I need to expand the layer, not what's on the layer.

For example, if I put a lens flare on layer that's 100% scale, then the layer moves, the flare glow suddenly stops at the layer edge. I can make the layer larger, then put my flare on it, and I can move it without this problem. But when I apply Mocha corner pin, it won't work if the layer is scaled up. If I put my flare into a precomp and put the tracking on the precomp, the precomp edge creates the same cut-off problem. Either way, if I scale the precomp up, I just get a giant flare.

Does this make sense?

Return to posts index

by on Jan 16, 2015 at 6:27:35 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Jan 16, 2015 at 6:55:54 pm

The limiting factor is that you can't use Mocha on a scaled layer, correct? So how do you overcome this? You use Mocha on an UN-scaled layer. Then you take all the layers you just made, nest them in a comp, and then scale up the nested comp.

I fail to see the difference if you need to scale up the original layer, but are unable to.

Unless, of course, you're working with a very small original layer which needs to be scaled up, and the layer you are tracking to it needs to move beyond the scaled layer's dimensions.

In which case, Mocha may not be the tool for the job. You may have to use a different tracker. Nest both the tracked layer and the layer to which you apply tracking in a new comp. Increase that comp's dimensions by quite a lot. Nest it in your main comp and scale it as desired. The layer to which you applied tracking should now be able to move beyond the tracked layer -- the layer that needed scaling -- and not cut off.

Now, if Mocha actually does the trick, just nest the layers involved in as new comp, increase that new comp's dimensions, and you should be good to go.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Ross ShainRe: Mocha tracking data on layer larger than 100%?
by on Jan 19, 2015 at 10:37:41 pm

Sounds like it would be more appropriate to use mocha's transform data export (not corner pin) and than paste it onto a null to drive your lens flare.

The issue you are experiencing is related to AE's corner pin effect which sales from the image size, not mocha.

Ross Shain
Imagineer Systems
http://www.imagineersystems.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]