ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Motion Tracking Long Shots

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff TocciMotion Tracking Long Shots
by on Jan 15, 2015 at 10:00:04 pm

Hi,
I have some footage shot on a stabilizer at 4K, touring a large outdoor area. The footage is pretty smooth to begin with, but is still too shaky to use as is. My goal is to stabilize the footage in After Effects CS6 using Motion Tracking, then speed the footage up in order to make the content watchable. The problem I'm having, however, is that all the online tutorials I've found only show you how to motion track using track points that remain in the frame for the entirety of the shot. In my footage, I cover so much ground that whatever track points I start with (such as a specific tree) leave the frame well before my shot is complete.

I'm wondering if any of you AE gurus have any tricks to motion track my footage for the entirety of the shot? Like I said, I shot in 4K, so I have plenty of room to crop and rotate on a 1080 (or 720) timeline.

And before anyone suggests it: yes, I've tried using the Warp Stabilizer already. It works alright, but when the footage is sped up, it looks bad.

Thanks in advance,
Jeff

Return to posts index

Derek BoettcherRe: Motion Tracking Long Shots
by on Jan 15, 2015 at 10:32:28 pm

Have you instead tried reversing the order? Try speeding it up, precomping and then apply the warp stabilizer using the smoothing factors. Or even better, stabilize, speed up, preconpse and srabilze again.

Best,
Derek Boettcher
Creative Management
BTH Media Group
http://bthmedia.com

Return to posts index

Jeff TocciRe: Motion Tracking Long Shots
by on Jan 15, 2015 at 11:05:50 pm

Hi Derek,
I have tried that. It works, but it still has that Warp Stabilizer wobble to it. The way I see it, I have the information there, so I want to find a way to make it rocksteady. Is there any way to use the 3D Camera tracker to achieve this? I've already analyzed the clip, so the track points are there, but how do I combine these points with stabilization?

I've used the 3D Camera tracker to add text to a shot, and it works amazingly well. There must be some way to identify a track point, anchor it to a straight line, then switch points once that first point goes out of frame, no? I don't make any sudden movements or jerks during the shot, the camera just bobs as I walk.

What I'm asking may be impossible, I don't know. It just seems like all of the pieces are there, so I thought I'd ask.

Thanks for your reply. If the Warp Stabilizer is truly my only option, are there any suggested settings to make the footage as steady as possible? I've tried "Position, Scale, and Rotation" with auto-scaling turned off, with mediocre results. Should I try synthesizing the edges?

Man, I already fear that this thread is going to turn into a discussion on the Warp Stabilizer.

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Motion Tracking Long Shots
by on Jan 16, 2015 at 3:22:42 am

Do your first track, say the tree and track that for as long as it's in the scene, apply data to null. Then find another point to track, apply that data to a 2nd null, then parent the 2nd null to the first. You can daisy chain as many nulls as you need this way.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

by on Jan 16, 2015 at 3:38:54 pm

Hi John,
This sounds like the solution I'm searching for. Would you mind breaking that down into a specific workflow for me? I'm not exactly an AE expert. Is this using the regular motion tracking, or the 3D camera tracker? As I mentioned, my only experience tracking anything has been with text. Forgive my ignorance. And thank you!

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Motion Tracking Long Shots
by on Jan 16, 2015 at 6:40:34 pm

Essentially what you do is track one object in your scene until it goes offscreen. Then start tracking another object. Then a third and so on if need be. This tutorial explains doing it all on one layer(I separate the data to multiple nulls just to be safe, but either method works).

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

by on Jan 16, 2015 at 8:38:28 pm

Fantastic! This is just the tutorial I was looking for. Thanks, John!

Return to posts index

Tero AhlforsRe: Motion Tracking Long Shots
by on Jan 16, 2015 at 9:20:00 am

Do you need to stabilize the whole thing? It would be easier to deal with shorter clips.

Return to posts index

by on Jan 16, 2015 at 3:42:35 pm

These long shots are already broken down into multiple clips, so they're as "short" as they can be. I realize shorter clips are easier to deal with, but unfortunately these shots need to be long.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Motion Tracking Long Shots
by on Jan 18, 2015 at 2:46:05 am

It sounds like you're facing an issue that's tough to get around -- when you speed up footage, any camera motion becomes jerkier. The motion naturally becomes less smooth.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]