ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Tracking an Irregular Screen

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eddy Rose
Tracking an Irregular Screen
on Jan 15, 2015 at 3:38:06 am

So I have to track and replace some oddly shaped screens on some weird, old fashioned TVs.

If they were regular rectangular TV screens I'd just track the edges in mocha and use the data to corner-pin the footage over the screen.

However, because the screens are weirdly shaped (octagonal, irregular rectangles) I need to perfectly track and scale a shape layer to match the screen and provide a matte for the footage.

How should I approach this? Any and all answers or links to tutorials are massively appreciated.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Re: Tracking an Irregular Screen
on Jan 15, 2015 at 8:57:25 am

Do a camera track and position the footage with the right mask over the tv screen.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Eddy Rose
on Jan 15, 2015 at 1:06:01 pm

That's what I initially tried, but the mask has to match up with the screen perfectly and it's tough due to it's weird shape.

I can get it super close, but there's always a little bounce here and there. I think I've been using a motion track though, will a camera track work better?

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Jan 15, 2015 at 1:44:22 pm

I would use a camera track and position the masked layer in 3D space to match the location of the tv. This should give you the shakiness of the camera. Use different compositing modes to bring back the texture and reflections from the screen.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]